Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Systemworks 2003

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

Could somebody tell me how to remove Norton Ghost basic, advanced and all ghost utilities, without my machine crashing. I have removed Norton Anti-Virus, thru ad-remove programs, deleted all program files of NAV and removed the keys for NAV. in the registry.

I have a problem when it comes to Norton Ghost, Windows will not let me remove ghost, when I try Windows crashes. I can not remove ghost using ad-remove programs because only Norton SystemWorks is their.
I was hoping to keep Norton Utilities and Clean Sweep, as I use these applications. I do not use ghost at all and don't plan to use in the near future the program is using up resources on my machine which I could put to better use.

Is it possible to keep the utilities and clean sweep or do I have to Uninstall Norton SystemWorks, altogether. I noticed in services that it is their to > Ghost Start Service > set on auto. > This service depends on the following system componets - Remote Procedure Call - What would happen if I stopped this service, how would it affect my machine? In keeping with services, I also noticed > Norton Unerase Protection and this service is set to automatic and has No Dependencies. Since this service has no dependencies is it a good idea to stop this service? This program Ghost, seems to be thru-out the entire machine.

If anybody knows of a way to remove this program, I will be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Winnipeg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:14 PM

Have you tried uninstalling from Safe Mode?
Your best move would be to remove all the Norton products. reinstall the ones you want to keep. Personally I would not reinstall any Norton or MacAfee products except SyGate. Here is the short list of free antivirus..

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

This is the Norton 2003 removal program link...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv=&osv_lvl=
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Winnipeg

Winnipeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:07 PM

Hello Acklan;

Thanks so much for responding to my problem and providing the link to Symantec.

If I uninstall Norton SystemWorks, I will loose the utilities and clean sweep due to the fact, I do not have the disk anymore. I use these 2 programs every day and was hoping to keep them.

I have removed Norton Anti-Virus from my machine and downloaded the free version of AVG, and works like a charm. I was paying Symantec $26.00, a month to update my machine, what a waste.

The only firewall I use is the one that comes with XP, and I have it turned on.

I just viewed the symantec site, removing your Norton program using SymNRT and I see that their is one for Norton Ghost 2003/9.0/10.0, but I have version 7.00.22.

I tried to remove in Safe Mode with no luck, it seems Norton Ghost is a protected program.

Thanks for your help...

Winnipeg

Edited by Winnipeg, 06 January 2006 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

If I uninstall Norton SystemWorks, I will loose the utilities and clean sweep due to the fact, I do not have the disk anymore. I use these 2 programs every day and was hoping to keep them.

Which utilities? I bet we can find you replacment freeware. You really need to use a better firewall the XP firewall. It only blocks incoming traffic. If some how a malware get inside your computer you need to block it from accessing the internet. Also you should set yourself up an account the is limited user on XP. Never roam the internet a Administrator. Here is a partical list....

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test
Snap Backup (Backup Utility)

Firewalls(Run only one.)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free

Best of all... they are free.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:34 AM

As Acklan says - there are ton's and ton's of free utilities that will do just as good (if not better) a job as the Norton products. Also, there will be less problems with them, and they won't hog your resources like Norton does.

Just to start you out, here's a link to the freeware suggestions page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

If it's not on the list, just ask us and we'll find it for you! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Winnipeg

Winnipeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

Hello Acklan, Albert Frankenstein, Usasma;

I have to tell you, I have been using Norton SystemWorks since 2000, and in all that time the only problem I encountered with Norton was a missing .dll file.

I know their are many users out their, who have had numerous problems with Norton products. I do know that they are real resource hogs.

The two utilities that I use in Norton are - One button checkup and WinDoctor which are as I count as the same program and I use Clean Sweep. I use OBC. or WD. for shortcut errors and I don't know why but I seem to get a lot of those suckers and I use Clean Sweep, to quickly remove unnecessary files to free up disk space.

The firewall I use as you know is the one that comes with XP. I use a cable modem and have high speed internet service, which is provided by my ISP. provider. I'm on a proxy server and when someone tries to get my IP. Address, they get the address of my ISP. provider. Do you think I should download zone alarm and install it and disable the firewall in XP. I don't know a lot about how to configure a firewall, I do know what they do and how they work. I took a 3 year course in PC Repair, so I do know how to build a computer. I have to tell you, "Firewalls Scare the Hell Out Of Me." What if I install zone alarm and configure it wrong and I can't bank online.

These are the programs I run on my machine, Norton SystemWorks, RegScrub, RegSeeker, Ad-Aware, Microsoft Anit-Spy and AVG. free edition for Windows. I used to have Spybot Search and Destroy but every time I scanned with Ad-Aware, Spybot never seems to find any spyware, so after a year of finding nothing I removed it.

I do use the AV. Online Scanners, Trendmicro and eTrust, to scan my machine about once a week and I have my AV. to scan every morning at 8:00am.

Thanks for all your help

Winnipeg

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:54 PM

Winnipeg that was an excellent post. If you like Symantic products maybe you should go with SyGate Personal Free Edition. It is Symantic's freeware firewall with is one of the best consumer firewalls out there, free or not. The big thing about setting up a firewall is to use as many of the basic setting as possible. It will take a couple of weeks to train the firewall to allow your common apps. and services. Once most of them are configued you just review and allow/denie the request as the firewall notifies you.
I don't care for ZA but more than not swear by it. Here is a list you might find useful...

Firewalls(Run only one.)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free

#9 Winnipeg

Winnipeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys thanks for all your help;

I will be killing XP's, firewall tonight and replacing with Sygate Firewall, I need to protect my machine a little better than, I have been doing and from what you guys say, the firewall in xp, is like putting a band-aid on a gushing wound. I have a few questions and if you bear with me I will try and make this as painless as possible.

Ok, if I understand this correctly Windows firewall only protects you from inbound traffic, is this correct.

What do I do with Windows firewall, just turn it off or disable or does it have to be removed from the system altogether and once the firewall is removed, what kind of problems would I encounter with Windows. I know it's not a good idea to have 2 firewalls on one system, one of them will not play nice with the other one. I guess what I want to know here, when I removed NAV. the security centre in Windows went crazy, I was reading and fixing error after error. Windows really likes to protect its-self, so when I remove Windows firewall what can I expect to happen

My next question - Can I remove windows firewall or is it built into the system that this program can not be removed and if you remove it other windows programs will stop running or be affected in another way.

What ports due you use for your online banking, mail, internet, when activating the firewall or is this all setup as default, when the program is installed on your machine.

As you can see by this post I don't know much about " Firewalls " and I have to say they scare the hell out of me, what happens if I close my banking port - not good - I took a 3 year course in PC. Repair and at the end of the course came the exam. They had a white sheet laid out with all the computer parts all over the place and a hollow tower. I had everything installed and booted to the desktop in 40 mins., I was second in my class, someone else did it in 37 mins. We did not have to have a firewall up and configured, I wish we had.

Many Thanks, Oh, wasn't Sygate purchased by Norton in 2005 or around their.

Winnipeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users