Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kb888111 driver needed before installing intel driver update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 balfiecat

balfiecat

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Wish I'd come here first....

After reviewing DirectX log (attached) Gamehouse support told me to update a driver to fix a problem launching a game (the game does not recognize that I have java installed). Said the driver was outdated and that I should have (copy pasted the driver info at the top of the direct X text file)

Card name: Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Controller

I had the following
Posted Image

Here are my system specs -
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/GXModels/5476/5476sp6.shtml

Some other relevant photos -
https://picasaweb.google.com/CountingCrowes/ComputerIssues#

• I went to intel and they did indeed list an update so I downloaded it.
  • the instructions in read me file (attached) said to install kb888111 before installing the new driver.
  • I went to Microsoft and the instructions for kb888111 said to first uninstall kb835221, which i did
  • I downloaded the hotfix for kb888111
  • After reviewing info for kb888111 I was not sure how to install plus I was unsure whether to use xpsp2 version or xpsp1 - I have xp sp3
  • After more research on the web regarding kb888111 I decided to keep what I had until I felt more certain of the best action to take. Therefore I attempted system restore, which failed
    Posted Image
  • The kb835221 version I uninstalled does not appear in add/remove AND on startup the computer detects new hardware (PCI ...bus?) which it is unable to find a driver for, therefore installation is incomplete
  • After reading some posts here about kb888111 I went to Gateway, but was unsure which driver to download and install. Therefore I downloaded all of them :P
  • However, I do not know which file(s) to install .
    The list of possible drivers is here -
    http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2748

What steps should I take now? Will I still have to install the intel driver after installing the gateway file?
I appreciate your help!

P.S. Not sure if this matters , but I have no sound which is in keeping with other posts I read (although I previously thought I was only impacting the graphics accelerator driver ) and some flash or shockwave do not display, but others do

Attached Files

Edited by balfiecat, 02 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

What's the complete name of the game and what are the system requirements?
Particularly video requirements.

The onboard video that you have really wont support high end gaming.

Edit:Also please post the model number of your Gateway

Edited by Eyesee, 02 June 2011 - 10:58 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 balfiecat

balfiecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:49 AM

Thank you for your help!

The game
Liong - The Lost Amulets

System Requirements
Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista
1 GHz Pentium 3 or equivalent
512MB RAM
DirectX 7.0
It is a game I downloaded for free months ago when it was the free game of the day. I never have been able to launch it because it never recognized java. Other games launch okay.

The link on the java error message takes me to www.alwaysneat.com which then redirects to a legitimate java download site.

When searching for the gamehouse link for the game I stumbled on a gamehouse support forum post regarding the same problem with the game
http://www.gamehouse.com/forums/support-forum/Cant-play-Liong-id1450
Unfortunately reinstalling java (the suggested fix) was one of the steps that failed to fix the problem when I was working with chat support

My computer is Gateway Model: GX7018E

Unfortunately in my attempt to install the Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family DirectX upgrade I uninstalled the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver kb835221 so now I have no sound. After reading more about the supposed update kb888111 (required before installing the directX upgrade) I was afraid to install kb888111

Based on what I read here I should install the driver including kb888111 from gateway, but I do not know which file to install or whether I will then be able to install the Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset upgrade driver. :(

Did you have another video solution in mind? I really don't have the mental faculties for high end gaming, but would be happy to have a computer with the potential! I mostly play time management and simple strategy games, such as Roads of Rome and Royal Envoy. :)

I read the post in which you said to install chipset drivers first. Do I need to install the chipset driver then the audio driver at http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2748 ? Would I have to uninstall chipset drivers first or would this auto upgrade them? I get nervous if i have to do anything more than click on a file then click appropriate buttons...

Edited by balfiecat, 03 June 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#4 balfiecat

balfiecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I apologize, Eyesee, for contacting you via PM this afternoon and do understand your preferring to keep things in the thread so that others can follow. I honestly thought you might have overlooked the reply I posted June 2.

I agree that the problem with the game is probably with the game's software and I am a little disappointed, but not surprised, to learn that my video chipset is low end. I would welcome ideas for inexpensive solutions to improve it - but I'll save that for another time and post

Thank you for your suggestion that I try KB888111 first and then the drivers from Gateway under video version 6.14.10.3971 and audio version 5.10.0.5136. I think I have not been clear or succinct enough so let me try again. I apologize for any unhelpful redundancy.

According to the IntelŪ Driver Update Utility there is a newer driver available and I want to install it . Right now the game is not an issue.

Product Detected IntelŪ 915/910G
Current Driver Installed 6.14.10.3889
Newer Driver Available: 14.25.50.4764 (6.14.10.4764)
Detailed Driver Description & Driver Documentation

Before
I can install the intel driver update another driver, Microsoft kb888111, needs to be installed. Before installing kb888111, yet another driver, kb835221, had to be uninstalled. I uninstalled kb835221 and have taken no further action.

After reading more detailed installation instructions on the web and some posts here about kb888111 I am not sure how to install it, am afraid to install it, and don't know which version to use - the xpsp2 version or xpsp1. No version for XPsp3 is offered

Based on what I read here about kb888111 it is better to install drivers offered directly from Gateway, the manufacturer of my computer: Gateway Model: GX7018E. I understood that the driver kb888111 would be included in one of the drivers from Gateway. For convenience, the list of drivers for my computer are ,again, here . I am thinking one of the 2 Gateway drivers you suggested includes kb888111, but I do not know how to tell.

Finally, I do not know whether or not the Intel driver upgrade is included in one of the Gateway drivers

I appreciate your time and assistance!

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

No problem to use PM, I just like to get others input as well.
Looks like it requires Windows XP service pack 2 first.
To check for that go to control panel - system & it will tell you under system information at the top under Windows version.

If SP2 or greater isinstalled try KB88811 then the drivers from Gateway
I dont think I would use the intel drivers as the ones from the Gateway site are specific to your system
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 balfiecat

balfiecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi Eyesee.

Thank you for your help!

I do not know how to install kb888111. Microsoft did not provide installation instructions for kb888111 and I read contradictory instructions on the web. Since my system restore is not working I am afraid to install it without being certain I am doing it properly and won't make things worse.

I have XpSp3 but the hotfix Microsoft emailed only had versions for sp1 and sp2. Would I use the Sp2 version?

Also, somewhere, I thought here, I read that it was better (safer?) to install the manufacturer drivers because they usually had the correct kb888111 included, kind of like what I think you are saying about the Intel driver. Is there a way to find out before I install?

Best
Cat

#7 balfiecat

balfiecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

1. After rereading several versions of how to install drivers as I tried to follow along on my computer I noticed, and used, the driver roll back option in device manager. I then had sound, but not without some issues. This was not the core issue, but quite an annoyance.

2. Although I have Windows Update set to automatic I launched it manually and the sound is now working as well as it did before I uninstalled Microsoft's driver kb835221. I have not looked to see what drivers I now have.

3. My memory and concentration are not what they used to be and it is easy for me to make mistakes. Therefore, until I fix system restore, I am not taking any further action even though my help request issue remains unresolved.

Eyesee, I appreciate your time, effort, and patience in assisting this not so gracefully aging brain of mine with my concerns.Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users