Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Installed new heatsink,now pc wont boot!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dovedescent7

dovedescent7

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Specs
System: My System
CPU
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
Motherboard
MSI X58M
Memory
9gb Kingston HyperX DDR3
Graphics Card
Radeon 5450
Hard Drive 3tb Seagate Cuda 7200's
Sound Card=MOBO
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case
CPU cooling STock intel
GPU cooling Antec Spot cool case fan #75018
OS Win 7 x64
Monitor Asus 24 Inch LED

This was a new build 1 month ago

Received new aftermarket heat sink cooler (scythe) and installed,now wont boot,no beep but all led and lights and power are on...I aplied the thermal per instructions and everything else...

Can someone help me out? i already put back on the stock cooler (intel)
and still no boot,no precious beep :(

I was so siked for today,it was gonna be my start of overclocking... but now, no boot.

Please help!

Edited by dovedescent7, 02 June 2011 - 08:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First off I am going to offer a link to the MSI product support web site for your X58M computer.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X58M.html#?div=Detail

I would take it based on your description that this computer booted up successfully with the stock heat sink, but has failed once you tried installing the heat sink cooler.

Here are a few possibilities of what I believe is happening here.

When you switched heat sinks you shifted the motherboard to a point where a motherboard to computer case stand-off is making contact with a circuit on the motherboard causing a short circuit to the case ground.

Or you loosened a wired connection on the motherboard that does not appear loose.

You should recheck the connections going from the power supply to motherboard, make sure those are firmly and securely locked into the sockets on the motherboard.

Try loosening the screws that hold the motherboard in place in the computer tower and try booting up the system again.

You could also try using a pen or pencil and while booting up the computer system try flexing (gently pushing down) the motherboard in various areas to see if the system boots up.

If the symptom disappears, you now know your system board was either shorting out to the computer case, or you have a faulty or loose connection on the motherboard.

I am hoping that when you installed the cooler that you did not short circuit the board with the cooler and did permanent damage to one of the circuits.

Just be careful when you work inside the computer case that you guard against static discharge damage to the motherboard, it is very important that you ground your self first to a grounded source and for safety, it is best to keep one hand on the computer case, this helps prevent static discharge damage from happening.

If you have any questions or need more information, please feel free to ask.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dovedescent7

dovedescent7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

Thank you for your help..at the point of writing this,i was 8 days over on neweggs 30 warranty of the board and the cpu...But just for the heck of it,i called newegg, and pleaded for the replacement of both... They were so nice,and said i could return both cpu and mobo AFTER the warranty was expired!They promptly sent the shipping labels and i sent them out straightaway!

Thank you for your prompt response to my topic.You guys have always been great here...

Im hoping i did the right thing,returning those, and somewhat cancelling out two major variables in what the problem could be????

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Now that is great news to hear, the newegg company has agreed to accept both out of warranty items in good faith and offer a replacement for them, it is not too often you see this sort of support offered on out of warranty merchandise. :thumbup2:

When your new hardware shows up, try to be careful when installing the cooler on the processor, use extreme caution regarding static discharge damage, ground yourself to the computer case before and during any work you perform on the inside of the computer case.

Please keep us updated once you have the new hardware installed.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 June 2011 - 10:33 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 dovedescent7

dovedescent7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thank you bruce for your prompt response... i Hope i am doing the right thing in returning both the mobo and cpu rather than troubleshoot... I figured doing this would get rid of two major variables.. Or at least that was my thinking..

COuld you maybe expand on how i can ground myself so i can prevent from static discharge?

Edited by dovedescent7, 06 June 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

Sure, if you want to purchase something that will make working a computer simple I would recommend a static guard wrist band.

They look like the one in the picture below, I use one of these because it leaves both hands free and keeps you and the computer connected together at all times.

Attached File  wrist.jpg   6.61KB   1 downloads

You can find these at newegg.com as well. Here's a link below and you'll notice most are as little as $4.00 USD

You wear the wrist strap and attach the alligator clip to the computer case where it makes a secure connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=wrist+strap+static

If that is not possible, simply keeping one hand on the metal casing of the computer case will be sufficient enough.

This safely equalizes the electrical energy stored in your body, with the energy stored in the components of your computer case.

Think of static electricity such as you think of atmospheric lightening, lighting is a positive energy being attracted to a negative energy, normally Earth is Negatively charged, this is why we connect everything to Earth through grounding rods.

Clouds above the Earth can be both positive charged and negative charged, this is why lightening travels from one cloud to another.

The problem with electronic components is their electrical current ratings are far below the amount of electricity your body is capable of carrying, this can cause some of the low voltage components to burn open or short out inside.

This causes a circuit failure to happen and thus the computer stops working.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 June 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

I agree with MR. Bruce a ground strap should be used. One never knows how much static their body has. It varies from time to time and person to person. Many cases today have a lot of plastic, their for you might not be touching metal for ground when need be. A four to five dollar investment on a ground strap could save a lot of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users