Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infection affecting all computers in the house

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrgrita

mrgrita

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

On every computer in our house, 1 Macbook, 1 pc laptop, 1 desktop, in EVERY browser random tabs or windows will open while we are online with super annoying ads. They stay hidden behind the tabs you are using and often play video/audio. examples: google.analytics that reroutes, blinxx, mevio, wordslife, apartmentfinder
I've run ClamXav and iAntivirus and they find no infections. Obviously something is not right, but I really don't know how to go about fixing it. Is my router infected? What's going on?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
~margarita

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Are you using a router in your home?

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 mrgrita

mrgrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yes. We have a Belkin Wireless router. The desktop is hardwired in and the laptops are both used wirelessly on the same router.

Edited by mrgrita, 03 June 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hello.

You need to reset your router back to factory settings. The exact process varies from model to model, but usually involves pressing in a 'RESET' button with a pin for about 15-30 seconds. The button should be located somewhere on the device. You should consult your router documentation for details.

Note that you will need to reconfigure the router after performing the reset. Additionally, make sure that you secure the router config with a strong password. Again, consult your router documentation for details on this process.

After resetting the router, let me know if the redirects continue.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 robr0924

robr0924

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

Is there a way to check your router? Not having an issue, just curious.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

@robr0924: Not really a convenient method to empirically test the router. Diagnosis of a router infection is done mostly on circumstance and whether the symptoms fit. Since treatment is a hard reset of the router it's a procedure that can be done without fear of adverse repercussion; the only thing required afterwards is a router reconfiguration as you did when you initially set up the router. Just make sure you have your documentation handy if you aren't familiar with the process.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 mrgrita

mrgrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

I've reset the router but will be going out of town for a few days. I'll let you know when I'm back at the grind on Monday!
Thanks!
~margarita

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

Sounds good.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 mrgrita

mrgrita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

I've been working for about 8 hours with no pop ups! It looks like you're my hero!
Thank you, Blade!

#10 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

Glad I could help!

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users