Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Service Pack Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jim46

Jim46

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

I have a Dell notebook running XP just as installed at the factory. I hear about SP2 and the problems installing it and have avoided it so far, my computer runs fine, a little slow due to some spyware I regularly remove, but otherwise no big security problems. Should I install SP or let sleeping dogs lay?

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

I have put ALL the updates on all of my computers(13), with no ill effects. There are security patches that may help you depending on which malware you are combating.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

The short answer is yes it is necessary. It should not slow your computer noticeably.

What sort of computer do you have? processor, ram, hard drive, os, etc. What sort of programs do you normally use? Do you have anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware software?

This would help advising on how to speed up your computer.

#4 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hello Jim46;

You need Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 for the following reason:

Security
When accessing the Internet, your computer is vulnerable to viruses. A failure to patch just one known security vulnerability can leave your computer wide open to Trojans. These nasty little programs seek out unpatched computers and allow attackers to use your computer without your knowledge. Trojans may use your computer to start denial of service attacks in which they try to disable Web sites by overloading them with traffic from thousands of Internet users. You may never know that your computer is being used by a Trojan.

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 provides an enhanced security infrastructure that defends your computer against viruses, worms, and hackers, along with increased manageability and control and an improved experience.

Installing a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 provides a wider coverage on the fixes and enhancements for your operating system instead of the small quick fixes that patches are designed to address.

More information can be found in this link.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...9836&l=en&s=dhs

Hope this helps....

Winnipeg

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:31 PM

Make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 06 January 2006 - 04:34 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 Jim46

Jim46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

sounds like its way over my head, I'm not a computer programmer, just a user, I think I'll wait until I can afford an overpriced tech guy to come in and check for all those things that I have no idea if they exist on my computer.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

I believe you would urprze yourself . It's well within your means. You have us if you get in a tight.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:15 AM

Well, I guess I ought to add my 2 here:

SP2's bad reputation was not caused by a problem with SP2. What happened was that SP2 made some very major changes in XP. Software that couldn't cope with these changes would break. Once the software designers changed their code, most everything plays nicely with SP2 now.

Without SP2 you are asking for trouble. SP2 was a major operating system upgrade AND a major security upgrade. Without SP2, you are vulnerable to many threats - and it's just a matter of time until it hits you. (Remember the lssas vulnerability from the early days of XP? It's still around and is affecting unpatched systems also!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users