Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unhide.exe unhid EVERYTHING

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Worrom

Worrom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

I had tried the Unhide.exe once and it unhid EVERYTHING not only the files hidden by the infection. Anyone else experience this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

Unhide has no way of distinguishing which files were hidden by the infection and which were already hidden; so it makes them all visible.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Worrom

Worrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

That is what I had assumed but I can achieve the same result by manually 'un-hiding' everything. Does this not make the system more vulnerable by making all hidden and system files visible?

Will a windows repair restore the proper file attributes in this scenario?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yes you can achieve the same result by manually un-hiding everything.

I do not believe that unhide makes the system files visible.

I am not sure if a repair install will "fix" the issue.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 invision

invision

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:40 PM

Can't you just go back into Folders Options > View and Check the "Don't Show Hidden Files, Folder and Drives" and "Hide Protected Operating System Files"

#6 Worrom

Worrom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

The last time I used Unhide.exe the 'Local Settings' and 'Application Data' folders, among others, were completely visible.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

"Local Settings" and "Application Data" folders are normally hidden but are not "Protected Operating System Files".

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users