Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which combination would be best suted for me.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CustomiZer

CustomiZer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

So after my current cleanup of my laptop I would like to know which combination of antivirus, firewall, anti spyware is best suited for me.

Previously I was using Avira Premium Suite(promo) and Comodo firewall along with malwarebytes.
After the expiration of my avira lisence I tried out both Microsoft Security Essentials and ESET Antivirus 5 (beta)

I am a heavy internet user and application downloader.

Avira had an excellent detection rate though it gave a couple of false positives too.
I'm willing to try any free AV(avira or avast or MSE) or ESET in the paid category.
I'm not really sure how much good the free ones (avira/avast) are. In some ways MSE doesn't really convince me as much as Avira Premium Suite did.
Hence I would like your advice on which one to go with...I need something with good detection, I don't mind a few false positives.

Regarding firewall I'm happy with comodo. Though I've never tried any other. If any other alternative is better I would like to know about it as well.

An finally regarding antispyware, I have no idea what is good and what to go with.
SUPERAntiSpyware FREE or Malwarebytes FREE or Spybot SD or any other that you may recommend...

I have heard about some like threatfire and immunet which work in complementing the AV. It would be a great help if you could explain those too...

All help and information is greatly appreciated
Regards
~ CustomiZer
When there is a will there is a way. If there is no way then make one.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I suggest you to get Avast free antivirus. It can compete with Avira. Plus, it has 8 shields for real-time protection.

For the antispyware, I think SUPERAntispyware and Malwarebytes are good combinaison.

I have Malwarebytes and Spybot but I nearly never use Spybot...

Another good "antispyware" is spywareblaster. That software doesn't scan for spyware, it only prevents.

#3 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:20 AM

I suggest you to get Avast free antivirus. It can compete with Avira. Plus, it has 8 shields for real-time protection.

I agree...it's the best choice for me too.
@CustomiZer
"I am a heavy internet user and application downloader."
I think you should have some firewall...have you one? Good propositions are Online Armor Free (it have a very strong, useful HIPS) or Privatefirewall (this have an effective behavioral blocker - Dynamic Security Agent). Next...maybe something to anti-logger protection - you have free version of SpyShelter and KeyScrambler. On-demand scan - Emsisoft Emergency Kit...MBAM too :)

Edited by ichito, 03 June 2011 - 05:20 AM.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software and How to choose a firewall.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Use trustworthy security tools like:I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

List of Virus & Malware Resources:My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice.
If you're looking for a free alternative, I recommend any of the following:You can supplement your security tools and get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Quietman makes a very valid point. Since no set of applications will guarantee complete protection, you have to exercise extreme caution on the Internet, especially with downloads. If you use Firefox as your browser of choice, you should install NoScript (it may be a bother sometimes, but it can help prevent all sorts of problems).
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi CustomiZer

If you want good detection rates then you simply can't beat Avira Antivir Personal (free). In this respect it is significantly better than any other free anti virus, incuding Avast. Avira is also extremely light on resources.

Regarding your firewall, you can't beat Comodo. It's the best there is, free or paid. You don't say which version you are using. If it's the free Comodo Internet Security (which I recommend), if you haven't already done so, deselect the anti virus part to avoid conflicts (Avira is better) but select Defense+, an awesome anti-malware program that will give you an extra tier of protection. Under configuration I recommend you select proactive security.

I've used Threatfire and Immunet but with such good real-time protection as Avira and Comodo I don't think they're necessary, but I do recommend Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as excellent free on-demand scanners.

For safer and faster browsing I also recommend OpenDNS. Setup and registration takes a little while but it will give you protection against known bad sites.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,484 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

There is always the option to use Windows built-in Firewall. Most concerns you may have heard or read about the Windows Firewall were in the XP operating system so many users were advised to use third-party alternatives. Microsoft significantly improved the firewall to address these concerns in Vista and then added more improvements in Windows 7.

Windows Vista Firewall offers two-way filtering for better security than it did in XP but it is still limited. The firewall is combined with IPsec, turned on by default and set to a basic configuration that works in tandem with the Windows Service Hardening feature. If the firewall detects activity that it considers prohibited behavior according to the Service Hardenings preset rules, the firewall will block the suspicious activity. Another feature in the Vista firewall is that it can set rules based on three different types of networks using the Rules Wizard so creating firewall rules is much simpler.

By default, most (not all) outbound filtering is turned off (outbound connections are allowed) and inbound filtering is turned on (inbound connections are blocked/not allowed). Why? This is what Microsoft has to say:

Matt Parretta, a former spokesperson for Microsoft's PR agency, Waggener Edstrom, offered this defense: "If we turned on outbound filtering by default for consumers, it forces the user to make a trust decision for every application they run which touches the network. After they upgrade to Windows Vista or purchase a new PC with that OS, they will be prompted on the first launch of every application that touches the network: Instant Messaging, IE, e-mail, Windows Media, iTunes, every self-updating app such as Adobe, and so on. Unless they click 'allow', the app will be broken and won't function properly. The out of box experience would be poor, and they would soon be desensitized to the prompts."

Although most outbound filtering is disabled, Vista’s firewall does provide limited outbound filtering which users may not be aware of as it is essentially invisible.

Jason Leznek, Microsoft senior product manager, told Computerworld that outbound filtering rules "are enabled by default for core Windows services as part of Windows Service Hardening, which enables the firewall to understand specific behaviors Windows services should have, and block them if they are doing something unexpected (ie, via an exploited vulnerability). Windows Firewall also protects the computer by blocking certain outgoing messages to help prevent the computer against certain port scanning attacks."

Outbound filtering can be configured to provide an additional layer of security and it does provide corporate and business administrators control over applications (i.e. peer-to-peer file sharing) they may want to restrict. Any such applications that require outbound access must be added to the rules list by using the firewall with the Advanced Security Microsoft Management Console (MMC). Configuration may be confusing for some and there is no practical way to to configure outbound filtering to stop all unwanted outbound connections. Inbound filtering can be turned on or off and through various tabs and configuration settings.

For more specific information about configuration and security, please refer to these articles:For an independent review read these articles (some include a response by Microsoft regarding outbound filtering as quoted above):
Windows 7 Firewall is similar to Vista and also offers two-way filtering for inbound and outbound traffic. However, Windows 7 adds a few new features in the firewall and related network-safety areas such as separate configuration settings for private (Home or Work) and public networks.

The Vista firewall was built on a new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) and added the ability to filter outbound traffic via the Advanced Security MMC snap-in. With Windows 7, Microsoft has tweaked the firewall further and made it much more useable, especially on mobile computers, by adding support for multiple active firewall policies.

The Windows 7 Firewall refines the much-improved firewall that was included in Windows Vista, and brings its "hidden" advanced features out into the open. Many users, including some IT professionals, were unaware that you could filter outbound traffic, monitor and otherwise perform advanced configuration tasks for the Vista firewall, because none of that was apparent from the Firewall applet in Control Panel. With Windows 7, Microsoft has created a built-in host firewall that is much more functional than its predecessors and now poses a viable alternative to third party host firewall products.

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?

As with Vista, the basic settings for the Windows 7 firewall are accessed via the Control Panel applet. Unlike Vista, you can also access the advanced settings (including configuration of filtering for outbound connections) through the Control Panel instead of having to create an empty MMC and add a snap-in...

The Vista firewall allows you to choose whether you are on a public or private network. With Windows 7, you have three choices - public network, home network or work network. The two latter options are treated as private networks...With All-Network types, by default the Windows 7 firewall blocks connections to programs that are not on the list of allowed programs. Windows 7 allows you to configure the settings for each network type separately,...

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?

For information about using the Windows 7 firewall, managing settings, block programs from accessing the Internet, open/close ports or disabling firewall notifications, please refer to:For an independent review read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

It's quite a performance, with Vista anyway, to configure Windows Firewall for outbound filtering. CustomiZer didn't appear to say which OS he had. Wouldn't it be better to use the superior Comodo Internet Security rather than spend a lot of time and effort messing around with Windows Firewall which, at the end of the day, is inferior to Comodo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users