Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLI GTX 460s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hey guys. I am beginning to heavily consider upgrading my one GTX 460 to a SLI configuration before battlefield 3 comes out. The only thing that stands in my way is heat though. My single 460 reaches 84-86 degrees regularly while playing bad company 2 and crysis 2. Now i feel like if i stick another 460 right next to that i could see the temps sky rocket. So my question is, would i need some sort of aftermarket cooling or exhaust of some sort to get this done? if so what would you guys suggest? or is this entirely normal and completely possible to do this without after market cooling? thanks!

MY SPECS:

NZXT M59 Mid Tower Gaming Case with max fans

Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r motherboard
nvidia gtx 460
i7-950 (Currently OC'd to 3.81 GHz at 1.216 vcore)
6 GB A-Data ram 1600 Mhz
1 TB HDD
NZXT M59 Mid Tower Gaming Case
Coolermaster V6 CPU Fan
750 Watt Corsair PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

I ran a pair of 4870s in Crossfire on an X58-UD4P for awhile, and the top card does run hotter. Personally, I never had a problem caused by the top card being warmer, but being the anal retentive person I can be, I made a bracket and mounted a 120MM fan blowing on the cards (no side cover so no clearance problems). I think after all the tweeking the top card ran about 4C warmer (Furmark)than the bottom.

Real world, it should work without a hitch assuming your case has adequate ventilation, thats the key.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

Or you could maybe max out the GPU fan for both of them.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

have you taken the time to up your fan speeds?
I run folding at home on both of my 570s and they never get over 65C with my
ambient temp around 80F currently

there are several great programs that you can use to tweak your fan speed
rivatuner works well
and most of the nVidia cards ship with some sort of software bundled mine are
evga and the program Precision is a desktop ap that lets me tweak gpu speeds an fan speed

other than that make sure you have your air flow in the case rite,
ya know front to back etc
You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users