Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson Stylus Photo R300

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thebassplayer

thebassplayer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

My daughter purchased an Epson Stylus Photo R300 and did not do her homework prior to the purchase.

Because of her lack of investigation, she has now discovered that when any cartridge (not the black) goes MT the printer presents and error report, "Ink Cartridge Replacement", blah, blah, replaced cartridge and press OK, and you cannot even print grayscale.

I contacted Epson support and was told:

[Incident: 110601-001500] The printer is out of two colors of ink and will not allow us to default it to g‏
6/01/11
Sent: Wed 6/01/11 2:17 PM
To: bdelapp@live.com

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
The printer is out of two colors of ink and will not allow us to default it to g

Discussion Thread
Response (Rones Jacob A) 06/01/2011 01:17 PM
Dear Bruce,

Thank you for contacting Epson. I'm sorry to know that you are having difficulty printing with your Epson Stylus Photo R300 due to an expended ink cartridge.

However, the printer will not operate if any cartridge is expended or removed. It is best to always have extra cartridges on hand.

Epson printers contain a permanent print head that needs to be charged with all colors to work. Even when users are printing black text only, a small amount of color ink is used to keep the print head charged. Air bubbles can damage the print head. The print head needs to be kept charged to prevent air bubbles from entering.

Therefore, once one of the cartridges are expended, the printer signals you to replace the cartridge in order for printing to continue.

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please reply without history (when possible), as our email system contains all previous correspondence. If you have a different technical support issue, please submit another email request via our website (http://www.epson.com/support), and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.

Jacob A.

To our question, my daughter uses this printer mostly for her school work and needs a default black as not to waste expensive ink.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a way to circumvent the Epson process to run "black only".

The "printing preferences" in the Win Vista OS/the printer do not offer the 'black only' option, only gray scale. And now that 1 cartridge reports as MT it will not allow it to print.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have an Epson NX200 which isn't bad. (it was cheap)
It uses three color and one black cartridge.
Mine will not function either if any of the cartridges are empty.
You can set the printer to grey scale which is pretty much the same thing as black only.
But, as far as I can tell, all cartridges must be present and at least have some ink in them for the printer to work.

Thats what Epson support is telling you as well

Might be something inherent to Epson printers, not sure though.

Edited by Eyesee, 02 June 2011 - 03:02 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:06 PM

Hi,

Epson printers are designed that way. If one ink is expended or over 6 months old that is already opened out of the vacuum package, it wont work or the quality will be bad.
There is a way to override the message but its not a legit way and I know its not allowed to be posted here.
At the same time knowing Epson printers print head; it is sensitive that sometimes if you used a non-Epson ink it clogs some nozzles.
Not sure though if the very first old Stylus Color is using the same technology, but I assure you that all the new series nowadays has the same issue.
Cheap printers, excellent quality but of course there is a downside somewhere. :whistle:

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

I print pretty much black only on mine and I do notice the color cartridges diminishing on ink over time.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:42 AM

@Eyesee
Yep. I used to memorize canned answers regarding ink cartridges issues. :hysterical:
But I would still say in terms of quality, its better than the other competitors.

@thebassplayer
You said that your daughter purchased the R300. It was sold most likely as a used printer since its maybe around 5 or more years old already. I would suggest getting a new one as you'll never know what the original owner may have done with it.

#6 thebassplayer

thebassplayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hey Booterbotter... if there is a way to circumvent it, legit or not, I'd appreciate knowing how too... I assure you, I guarantee you I'm not trying to trap you... so if you will, please contact me at(removed) with the answer.

Mod Edit. Please keep all forum responses in the open. Thanks!

Edited by rigel, 03 June 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#7 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I understand where your coming from and I apologize as we are not allowed to provide non legit instructions or information.

If you wanted to find a solution on your issue, you can search in google but I cannot guarantee that it will be 100% safe as it may fix your printer's issue or even worse cause issues on your computer, we are not liable on what may happen on your printer or computer in following the steps you may encounter.

This information I am providing you is based on what I was provided when I used to work in that company, this is why I am suggesting it would be better to get a new printer as it wouldn't cost that much.
At the same time, you will have new set of ink cartridges as well as a 1 year replacement warranty or repair warranty unless of course you get a better deal with the other printer manufacturers out there.
Even I have multiple printers setup at home and at work, I would still say Epson stands out in terms of quality and support as they support out of warranty printers or a prehistoric printer like the good old stylus color.

I hope you understand.

Regards,

booterbotter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users