Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"f:/ Is Not Accessible"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PaulK

PaulK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

Folks:

The remainder of the Windows Explorer message is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

This is a Win2000 machine (a Delll 4100 ca 2001).

Recently I installed a 120 GB hard drive (a Seagate) to replace a 40 GB one which I use to store etc data and video files.

I selected NTFS and made three 40 GB partitions on the new drive.

However, three times now in the space of a month the dreaded dialoge has appeared on one or the other of the drive partitions. (Since I have not placed critical data on the new drive after the first instance, I haven't lost anything important yet.)

How can I go about troubleshooting this. Can it be the drive itself? the system bios? Windows 2000?

Should I use FAT32 and try to see what happens?

Any advice about a course of action of course would be greatly appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:56 PM

Try changing you motherboard battery. XP getts tweaked when the time is not correct. It will not show files that are there and strange things like that.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 PaulK

PaulK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

Try changing you motherboard battery. XP getts tweaked when the time is not correct. It will not show files that are there and strange things like that.

==============

Well, perhaps. As to the possibility of an exhausted motherboard battery, this machine is always left on. I reboot it seldom and only shut it down when I'm out of town for more than several days. Also, the clock is automatically reset daily via an internet check program. (Tho I probably will replace the battery, now that you mention it...)

Can't anyone pitch in with some real advice here?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users