Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filtering and updating data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PCDevil

PCDevil

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

I build many websites, but thought I'd try something a bit different. I know HTML and am fine with editing other coding types, but I haven't been able to find the codes I want for my latest website I want to build.

I want to build a website with many different links from a-z but I want to be able to filter these links so people can click a letter and it will show just them results. E.g. if you click D it will show all links on the page starting with D.

I don't want the page to change though.

I also want to be able to take data from another website, but when that website updates their site I'd like it to change on my site too. So for example, if I had an item on my page and was giving the price from another site and that site said it was 10 I'd want my site to say this, but if it changed to 5 on their site I'd want it to then say the same on my site.

How can I do this? What are the codes I need?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

Editing other people's code will only take you so far. At some point you are going to actually have to learn to do it on your own. I am not sure what you mean by being able to filter results, but yet don't want the page to change. 'Filtering' implies that you only want to show a specific subset of data, which by definition is going to change the page. Do you mean that you don't want to reload the page?

Updating your content can be accomplished in a number of ways. You can use PHP or something to query the page on which you want to check prices, and then have those price changes reflected on your page the next time it reloads. Or you can have javascript check to see if the information has been updated and use an asynchronous call to update your page. Either way, you are not going to just find the code. You are probably going to have to write it on your own.

#3 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Editing other people's code will only take you so far. At some point you are going to actually have to learn to do it on your own. I am not sure what you mean by being able to filter results, but yet don't want the page to change. 'Filtering' implies that you only want to show a specific subset of data, which by definition is going to change the page. Do you mean that you don't want to reload the page?

Updating your content can be accomplished in a number of ways. You can use PHP or something to query the page on which you want to check prices, and then have those price changes reflected on your page the next time it reloads. Or you can have javascript check to see if the information has been updated and use an asynchronous call to update your page. Either way, you are not going to just find the code. You are probably going to have to write it on your own.

I know, but I learn by editing and it's hard to learn how to do something if you never know the code or how it's done.

I often use free hosting sites where you can only have so many pages and so I only want to use one page for the links, but I want the links to be easy to view so it would be better to allow the user to click one letter and view all links under it without it going to a new page. I'm basically trying to limit the amount of pages I'm using. Just one page with all links or the selected links for a letter.

Is there anywhere I can find an example of a (similar) code? There must be people who've used similar codes as I've seen plenty of websites that have them features. I have looked at their coding, but I need more of an idea of exactly which codes relate to what I want. I just want to test out new coding and that at the moment rather than learn new coding languages and write my own codes.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Is there anywhere I can find an example of a (similar) code?

Sure. You can find examples of it on every single page that does the same thing by using a debugger like Firebug. Like it or not, you are just going to have to put together your own test pages and tinker around with the code you find until it does what you want. Look at it as an opportunity to expand your skills. :)

#5 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:55 AM

Is there anywhere I can find an example of a (similar) code?

Sure. You can find examples of it on every single page that does the same thing by using a debugger like Firebug. Like it or not, you are just going to have to put together your own test pages and tinker around with the code you find until it does what you want. Look at it as an opportunity to expand your skills. :)

Thanks. I've been putting together test pages and messing around with codes for years. I know way more than I did when I first started. Chances are no matter what code you use if it's from elsewhere you'll probably have to change it a little to fit what you want, but I was hoping that I could just get the basic codes for these two things to start with just so I'd have the features then at some point in the future I could look into editing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users