Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I was infected with recovery virus.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tentstake

tentstake

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hello. first time posting here, so i hope i get it right.

I'm working on a computer that was infected with that darn windows 7 recovery virus. I did use the tools from another post with said run the rkill.exe and the unhide.exe. After doing so i tossed a gambit of anti malware programs at the pc. such programs were Malwarebyte, SuperAntiSpyware, A-squared emergency kit, Hitman Pro, Spybot, TDSS Killer, and Spyware Terminator. It appears that these have removed all traces of the virus.

Problem is now that all startup items are missing along with system tools, such as defrag, cleanup, system restore.

I read the one post that said coping and moving the smtmp folders, but they do not exist on this pc.

Thanks,
tent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tentstake

tentstake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

•Restore Accessories Program Files Menu with accrestore.zip for XP

is there something like this for Windows 7 (64bit)?

#3 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

You can restore the defaults for the Start Menu and Administrative Tools as follows:
For any other missing program shortcuts you will probably need to reinstall the application or manually create new shortcuts.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#4 tentstake

tentstake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

thanks a lot. worked like a charm. you guys are *bleeping* awesome.

#5 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

:) Glad to hear that worked.

Take care.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users