Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer has Firefox/Google redirect problem that I just can't fix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DC-Chaos

DC-Chaos

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Hello,

I've had my new compouter for just a week now. The operating system is Windows 7. I've barely finished setting up, adjusting my preferences, installing all the different programs I like to use and updating everything when I noticed that my Firefox seems to be infected with some Malware. Something I've never had to deal with before. Basically after I search in the google bar in the browser and I click on one of the results it comes up with then I get redirected to a completely unrelated and seemingly random site. This also happended when I tried it with Yahoo. I'm not sure if this started happening after I visited a certain site or after a certain download but I can't fix it.

I've trying the follwing steps to fix it. McAfee anti virus, Malwarebytes anti malware, TDSSkiller, GooredFix. None of which show any problems with my system or seem to have fixed the problem. after disabling javascript on Firefox I notice that the redirect still happens but the new sites seem unable to open up leaving either a blank page or just brings me back to the google home page. this probably gives some clue as to the cause of the problem but I don't know enough about computers to determine what it is.

This was a very expensive investment for me and I'd hate to think its ruined by some stupid malware/virus that I can't figure out how to get rid of. are there any known soloutions to this. Should I remove and reinstall firefox or will using a totally new browser help. I'm willing to change software if its means not suffering this problem. Is there any other more powerful software that will eliminate this issue? I notice its been a big problwem for a few years now judging by other posts in forums yet I can't seem to find any soloutions posted anywhere.

Thanks for any help in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hello DC-Chaos.

Are you using a router in your home? If so, are other computers on your network experiencing issues?

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 DC-Chaos

DC-Chaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hello Blade Zephon

Thanks for your reply. I am using a wireless router but no other computers have this problem. I'm also still using my old computer for the meantime which has no problems either.

An update to this issue. I have confirmed that the same problem exsits with Internet explorer and Google Chrome. I have also tried uninstalling/restarting/re-installing firefox but nothing has changed with it.

Any advice you can give me would be great

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hello.

Unfortunately you've a more advanced variant of this infection which can't be successfully dealt with at this level

It appears that the issues on your system will require a more in-depth examination than can be performed in this forum. Please read the information in this guide, and follow all the steps beginning with step 6. After you have followed the steps in that guide, I would like you to start a new thread HERE and include a link to this thread.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. The MRT is very busy, so it could be several days (5-7 days is the average wait right now) before you receive a reply. But rest assured, help is on the way!

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 DC-Chaos

DC-Chaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

Hey,

I have done has you asked and made the new post with all the log data here...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic402511.html

I hope I've done it all correctly. Looking forward to hearing from you again and finding out what I can do to remove this evil little infection.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users