Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my new PC a lemon??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tlcguy

tlcguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

hi, i'm nu to these forums and unsure if i'm posting under the correct catagory. i bought a HP pavilion 6000 w/ windows seven 6 months ago. for the last 2 months i have been having numerous problems. 4 most common isues are- 1. normally will not come out of sleep mode. 2- will not shut down unless it is a forced shut down by holding the power button down for several seconds. 3- regularly will lose internet connect while online. 4- does not always deliver emails. i called HP and they did diagnostics and determined the hardware was not the issue (so they said). i had my IT guy run numerous virus & maleware scans, do a system restore first and then removed and reinstall all the software. it didn't help. i've even called my internet provider and they said the connection speed was faster than normal and everything checked out. i've gone back to using my old turtle slow pc which is a pain. i do not have any of the same issues with it. this has become a major stresser in my life. can anyone out there suggest what to do next. i'm half tempted to throw it out and buy a nu one, but my checkbook overruled me. thanx in advace for your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

If it is brand new send it back. It should still be under the 1 year warranty.

#3 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

The only issue I saw there that usually isn't software related would be the dropping of internet signal.. but that could be your routers fault. If HP ran a DIAG on your PC then the 1 year MFG warranty won't cover anything, typically only hardware is covered.

#4 GX5000

GX5000

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

HP diags usually catch nothing.
They use it to deter people from returning their equipment.
Have your tech run a chip-set diag himself.

I've found plenty of Pavillons with bad South-bridge chipsets that cause all
kinds of issues. Last client brought it back to Futureshop and they ran the HP diag overnight and sent him
back saying there was nothing wrong with it.

I had to go with him and read them the riot act...
(the diags I ran that showed problems with the south-bridge wich was causing Sata ports and networking to become unavailable).

They sent it in to HP who ended up changing the Mobo and HDD.

Good luck.

#5 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

HP diags usually catch nothing.
They use it to deter people from returning their equipment.

This isn't true I've seen many instances where the HP diagnostic caught system errors. It wouldn't catch a south-bridge issue because it isn't designed to dig that far. I would suggest backing up your DATA and performing a destructive recovery on the system, since the IT guy has already made an attempt to fix it.

Now you said "then removed and reinstall all the software" did he perform a recovery or just repair install a few applications?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users