Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Error Number 0x800a0046

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tricnic

Tricnic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

I have a new system I am going to set up as the domain controller in our shop, but I cannot do that until I get Windows to update. When I go to the update site, windowsupdate.microsoft.com, it checks for the latest version of the update software, then I get the option of doing an Express or Custom update.

Regardless of which option I choose, I am taken to an error page telling me to enable Userdata Persistence in IE with [Error Number 0x800A0046] in the upper right. This is already enabled in all but the Restricted sites and I have added the microsoft update domains to the trusted sites list.

I have IIS v6.0 installed as well as the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration.

When searching the net for this particular error, the results point at either a VBScript error or problems with IIS, but I have not been able to find a problem explanation close enough to this issue to trust the solutions suggested.

I can install patches manually, using MBSA to find out what patches I need, but it is too time consuming to run that, then install the patch manually every time I need to update. I need to find a resolution for this.
Tricnic
--"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people." -Harry McDougal, "Outlaw Star"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tricnic

Tricnic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:56 PM

Tried everything in http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=883822 as well as the steps in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/39739/cant-install-updates/ to no avail.
Tricnic
--"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people." -Harry McDougal, "Outlaw Star"

#3 Tricnic

Tricnic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

Ok, looks like I got it fixed using the info in http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=883822
Had to restart, then run the commands, but I am no longer getting the error when attempting to update windows. Thanks to Enthusiast for that helpful link.
Tricnic

#4 Tricnic

Tricnic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

And the probelm has popped up again. Same error message when trying to update Windows.
The fix found in the link above seems to have been just a temporary fix, and is not working on this second try.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tricnic

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:43 AM

Try this:

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;883821

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users