Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files and pictures in Folders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Headlamp

Headlamp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:26 AM

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 and have various Folders on the C drive, including Pictures (C://Pictures). When I open it the folders and pictures are not there yet when I right click and look at Properties it tells me there is 17.7Gb of files. I thought I had resolved the issue by going back to the restore point for the main folder (C://Pictures) and indeed they became visible again. On checking the folder this morning they have gone again. I have the same problem with my (C://Users/Documents) folder - clicking on Properties tells me there are 697Mb of docuemnts but 'hovering' the cursor I'm told only 497Mb are there & the missing folders and documents are not visible.

The problem began after picking up malware which I have successfully removed from the machine at the weekend. I did use the Restore Points to successfully restore a music folder as the same problem occurred and it is still there! The Restore Point I used has now 'moved on' so I am unable to use this facility.

Any help gratefully received!!

Thanks

Attached File  Screen Print.png   178.6KB   6 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

Try unhiding the subdirectories in the folder. Do you know the name of the virus you had ?

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

Do your Libraries show like this when you're logged on?
If so, right click on the icon, then click properties ...restore default from there.

Attached Files

Edited by Jacee, 02 June 2011 - 11:39 AM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Headlamp

Headlamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your help - I tried both those suggestions but neither worked. I had the 'Anti-Virus' malware. To remove it I followed the instructions on this sight which was reasonably successful. The desktop however (as well as other folders) had files missing so I found an earlier Restore point & restored all the main folders in the C Drive and in the Users folder as there were files missing.

The solution may be more simple then I origianlly envisaged (but I still need help!). When I 'right click' at the top it says "Move or Rename Audio Files" - I have attached another picture of this....Attached File  Web Page2.gif   331.43KB   3 downloads

#5 Headlamp

Headlamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi,

Just to say I found the solution....

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Thanks for looking anyway

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for posting your resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users