Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Express Gate OS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Un geeky

Un geeky

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:04 AM

I am looking for information on keeping my Asus Netbook safe when I'm using Express Gate. Since it doesn't start the Windows 7 OS, the antivirus and firewall are not activated. It came with Trend Micro Internet Security installed on it which seemed to work with the Express Gate. But this expired after three months. It also had Webroot installed on it, but this does not seem to work in the Express Gate system. I don't know if this is the only security system that works with the Express Gate. Is there any others that may work with it that may be free?
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,
Un Geeky

Edited by Andrew, 02 June 2011 - 03:31 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved From DOS/PDA/Other to Linux - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:30 AM

From what I understand, ExpressGate runs from a read-only chip on the motherboard. This means that any changes potential malware try to make are lost when the computer reboots. Added to this the fact that ExpressGate is based on Linux* and you have a very secure operating environment. As such, you probably don't need to take any extra steps to secure it.

*Yes, I know that merely being Linux doesn't magically make it invulnerable, but the vast majority of malware is Windows-specific.

#3 Un geeky

Un geeky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Let's say I would loose my WIFI signal and have to swap to the Window 7 OS and use my USB modem for the rest of my session. Would I need to reboot or just swap over?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

Never having used ExpressGate, I can only speculate but I would imagine that to go from using ExpressGate to any other OS would necessitate a reboot.

#5 Un geeky

Un geeky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

There's a icon in the tray that starts up Windows, but I don't think it actually restarts the computer. It just starts up Windows 7. Would that allow any changes to take place, if it didn't restart?

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Oh, that's neat! Even assuming that changes made in ExpressGate (which would live in RAM) persisted into Windows, Windows would see it as garbage data and ignore it.

#7 Un geeky

Un geeky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the input. I live in an area where WIFI is non existent. So when I get the chance to use WIFI like at a hotel, I want to be sure I'm safe. Everything I read makes me a little paranoid.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

That button, auto reboots the computer. I have expressgate on my desktop and andrew is right-it is linux based which means very little malware can harm it, and what can doesn't do any good because it is a read only chip, nothing can be installed via expressgate. Anything gets messed up, simply reboot. Pressing that button, to go to windows 7, basically auto reboots your computer for you. Inside windows 7 you of course, need some sort of virus scanner and firewall, but anything done in expressgate is automatically erased the minute you exit it be it pressing the shutdown button, or the exit button (which reboots your computer)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 slipp3d

slipp3d

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I'll second what the_patriot11 said...
but I'll add that while ExpressGate is a read only system there is a chance for something coded correctly (or incorrectly) it could 'hang around' long enough to catch your windows install.

The reason that could be possible is that there is a small part of your hard drive that is used to keep the ExpressGate files.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Un geeky

Un geeky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

So then would it be safer to not use the windows start up key?

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

It reboots the system regardless of what key you use-even the windows startup key. At least mine does

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

Since you guys are much more versed in Linux than I am what would be the results then of say a rootkit in ExpressGate? Just curious.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

sh4rkbyt3....reread post # 8.
Nothing can get installed.
It works just like a Linux Live CD. The most secure way to go on the net. Most secure way to
do online banking.

Using WIFI though in a public place....I would think you would still be at risk of someone very
clever and talented being able to intercept whatever you send over the net. Those guys with the
black hats.
Encryption....https....should solve that problem....
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users