Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual memory low - Need serious help cleaning system out!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KateetaK

KateetaK

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

Hey everyone,

I am in need of some serious help fixing the computer I am using right now (my mother's computer). It is using Windows XP. It is a VPR Matrix, I believe.

So, here is what's wrong. The computer is VERRRRY slow. It takes ages to load a webpage, and it always tells me that the virtual memory is very low even when I am only running 1 program - a web browser. I use Mozilla Firefox. I am not sure what to do to make this computer faster, but it is very frustrating, because I can't do ANYTHING on here. Whenever I have the browser open, even if there's only one tab open. I'm thinking there are too many programs running on startup, but I have no idea, which is why I am here for help (I always get great help from this site!).

Could someone please walk me through some steps to make this computer run better and faster? Any and all help is very much appreciated!!!! I will continue to check this thread. Thank you so much in advance!!

Sincerely,

Kate Dougherty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Could you please give us the make/model of the system and how much room is left on your C: drive?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

I'm actually not sure. How can I find out that information? Sorry, I am not familiar at all with this computer!

#4 KateetaK

KateetaK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

Under control panel > system, I found this: VP Matrix, Intel® Pentium®, CPU 1.60 GHz, 1.59 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

Not sure if that's what you mean. Please let me know.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

That appears to a system sold by Best Buy...a system with minimum amount of RAM for running XP.

Do this...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter. Post the first 8 lines which appear in right screen.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users