Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remaining Issues with Windows XP Recovery Removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John A Smith

John A Smith

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

I ran all of the utilities and Malware Bytes per the instructions @ Bleepingcompter.com. It appears the virus is gone but it has left at least a couple of serious issues. I did run the unhide utility but my desktop is still empty. Everything is in its correct folder location it just doesn't show up on the desktop. Also, my "System Tools" shows empty. I can run system restore from its system32 folder location but all attempts to return to a previous set point fail. This is one nasty virus. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like to add one more question to this topic. I had the latest updates of Avast and Adaware running when this attack occurred and neither even hiccupped. Is there an antivirus or antimalware program that would have stopped it?

Mod Edit: Moved from Malware Removal Logs to Am I Infected, no logs ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2011 - 01:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John A Smith

John A Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

I may have fixed my problem or at least part of it. I read elsewhere that I should run the rkill then Malwarebytes over and over. Maybe that was also mentioned here and I missed it. I did run them 3 times and I figured that was enough but it looks like the 4th time was the charm. Suddenly the desktop appeared but still no System Tools.
On edit: I just downloaded and ran AccRestore v2.0 from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm It worked!!! Yippee. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users