Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer moron needs help!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Domerd

Domerd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Hello all,
Just some quick info...
Two years ago I bought Gateway LX6810 which has required more work than any computer I have ever heard of from a name brand. Just recently my wife and I decided to cannibalize the POS for parts to build a new computer. Having never done this anything like building a computer before I am sure you can imagine all the questions rolling around in my head. However there is one that seems to come back to me every time I look near the dining room table and that is this.
The hard drive I am currently using is installed with Windows Vista on it. The hard drive I am going to buy will be loaded with Windows 7. What I am hoping to do is to use the HD from my old computer as an extra HD to install things like games on them, and possibly pictures. Someone told me that by using a different HD for that kind of storage will make it run smoother.
SOOOOO.....
Will I need to wipe the old HD first?
How can I wipe the HD if I do not have a system to hook it up to?
If I wipe the HD will I need to also load Win7 in order to use it?
When using a slave drive will a short cut to the program work off of the screen, or do I need a short cut to the slave?
Will I need to do a duel boot from them?
Will marking the second as a slave drive take care of everything?

I know that the 1TB drive I am going to get could just be partitioned, but with all the Pictures and music my wife will put on it... Just doesn't seem worth
it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

Ok I'll try and put this one question at a time.

1. No, simply unplugging the drive while the new one is setup is fine. After your system is up and running turn the PC off disconnect the power cable and plug your old HDD up to SATA port 2 or 3 (if you have a SATA ODD). Boot the PC, now since the BCD hasn't been built to recognize the vista partition you shouldn't get a boot option. After the PC boots up navigate to computer and format the second drive. If you don't see it listed you can navigate to computer management through the search bar and format it in there.
2. No
3. As long as your PC has already been setup with windows 7 on the new HDD formatting the old will be fine.
4. By default games, programs, downloads, etc.. are automatically directed the the C: directory.. settings could be changed following this tutorial. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/39689-program-files-directory-change-default-installs.html
5. You can setup a Dual boot if you want Vista and Windows 7, but it's not necessary to get it working.
6. Having a slave drive will allow you to keep files, programs,etc.. separate from the system drive/files.

Now as for a note on having a second drive for storage, not to my knowledge does it "speed up" your system. Simple defrags and files cleanups will keep it running at a good speed. Now if you set the drives up in raid 0, there is where the performance will be; but that's a whole different ball game.

Edited by MarkGS, 01 June 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

don't know the size of the old drive ,but a 1 tb just to install win7 on would be a waste,i would do it the other way around depending on the size of the old drive ,if it were me

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Domerd

Domerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

So as long as my new computer is already set up, I can just hook up my old HD and format it, and its done?
That sounds easy enough, Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users