Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boo.. my Xp is Broke :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MistiSue

MistiSue

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hi I have read through the site and tried various solutions and cannot come up with a fix.

Im running xp Service pack 3 build 2600

This is a dell inspiron 1501 laptop

I some how go xp anitvirus 2001 on my computer. I was able to run malwarebytes and it seemed to have removed the virus..but..the problem now is the computer, on start up..just keeps loading over and over and never actually goes into windows. the windows logo appears for a quick sec..flashes the blue screen for a mili-second.. im eventually im left with options.

safe mode
safe mode networking
safe mode command prompt

last known config
start windows normally

the only options that actually get me into windows is doing so by safe mode.

this is where im stuck

any help would be great!!!

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2011 - 06:33 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

startup into safemode with networking.

go to,

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Restore

I usually choose a date 1 month back. After the restore, boot back into safe mode with networking. Make sure Malwarebytes is updated with the latest def's and run it agian.

Also, I usually disable the XP System Restore before running Malwarebytes. Sometimes the malware gets hidden in the restore points and comes back after reboot. WARNING!!.. This will wipe out all previous restore points.. BE WARNED!!

To disable\enable System Restore, right click on My Computer, select Properties, click the System Restore Tab.

After reboot, run Malwarebytes just in case. I would install SAS also and run a scan.

After you have clean scans with MBAM and SAS, install all latest windows updates and program updates. Also turn System Restore back on if you turned it off previously.
~DM

#3 MistiSue

MistiSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hello, that doesnt work because I do not have system restore enabled :(

#4 DoubleMinor

DoubleMinor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Are you able to update and run malwarebytes in safemode? If so, run a full scan.

Do you have SuperAntiSpyware installed? If so, run a complete scan.

If not, can you download it? SAS Download

If you can download SAS, also download safemsi

Extract safemsi and run it. This will allow you to install SAS within safe mode.

Install SAS, update and do a complete scan.

If the above is not possible then you'll have to wait for a BleepingComputer pro to assist you further.
~DM

#5 MistiSue

MistiSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

im not able to connect to the net..but i put SAS on a flash drive and put it on and ran it.. it found some things...but im still in the same boat.

the definitions for the malwarebyes is a little over a month old... but it found and also deleted whatit found

#6 MistiSue

MistiSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

OK AN UPDATE TO THIS

Im able to see a blue screen and the information on it is as follows

*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0xC0000005,OxF74FO71D,OxF7AE5FBC,Ox00000000)

*** atapi.sys - Address F74FO71D base at F74E6000, Datestamp 480253d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users