Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fomat A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lantz01

lantz01

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

I need some kelp, i would like to clear and old 20 gig hard drive to use again. i need to know how to hook it to a working computer and clear it out, it has a bad windows me opperating system and it crashed. It is a quantum fireball, any help would be great THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

I can help. First let talk about installing it. It is very easy. Select a bay directly under or over the current hard drive. I am assuming it will be a slave(secondary) drive. Now that you have a bay end mind, lets configure the drive. If it will be the only drive it probably is already configure as Master. If it is the second drive configure it as Slave. There is a series of pins between the IDE socket (where the flat cable will plug in) and the power socket (it has four larger pins). On the face of the drive is a chart showing how to configure these pins. Set the jumper to what fits your needs.
When plugging in the IDE cable there is a red dotted or solid strip on one side of the cable. It should be closest to the setting pins/power plug. The power plug is keyed and should only go in one way.
Insert the drive into the pre-selected bay and secure with th screws. In reality one screw should do but put in as many as you can. If you have a Compaq it may have "quick rails" inside the case to attach to the drive to make it easier to install.
That should cover the installation.

The easy way to clean that disk would be to download Active@KillDisk and run it several times. This will destroy any virus' that may be on that drive. I would run it 3-4 times, but most would say once is over kill. If you are using ME again pop in the CD and boot the computer. Follow the on screen instruction. If you are using W2k or XP it will be the same proceedure.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

If I may sneak in a comment...

Make sure there is a bit of space between the two drives. I would suggest at least 1/4 inch. The bays in my old case put my drives too close and one overheated and fried(no backup--ouch). If your case has the space, I would recommend keeping an open bay between the two drives.

Also, if your plan is to put the drive back into its own case after you format it, it may be easier to move it back before reinstalling Windows. Remember to switch the jumper on the drive back to the "Master" setting.

Sorry to intrude!
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

Intrude??? That is solid advice. Way to go. Thank you for the input. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 lantz01

lantz01