Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive transfer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kamador451

kamador451

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

I have a 4tb external hard drive but I don't think it is working correctly. it has a really low transfer rate (on average 190 kb/s to internal hard drive but 3 mb/s to external hard drive on esata) and it causes my computer to freeze up. I want to return it but first I want to get back all the stuff that I put into that drive but the thing refuses to let go of my files.

it is a greedy little thing like I explain above when I first transfer files to the external drive it went 3 mb/s not good but bearable but it reach a breaking point when the drive is the cause for several crashes to my computer and when I try transfer stuff back to my internal it goes 190 kb/s or freezes (usually freezes). so I am returning it

But is there any program or method to copy the data from my external and transfer it to another external (my internal is full only like 3 gb left)without the usual drag and drop because it keeps freezing when transfering and i need to transfer around 300 gbs out of the external hard drive

Also is the reason why the 4tb keeps crashing my computer because my internal drive only has 3 gbs of free space so it can't for a lack of words "control" the external hard drive

Edited by kamador451, 01 June 2011 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Other than getting into a windows PE environment a current boot is the only way to get the DATA transferred. What you can do is transfer fewer items at a time and see if that helps the crashing issue. To answer your last question, no having only 3Gb on your internal drive wouldn't effect the transfer rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users