Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus won't let me open any windows .exe files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ofxaos

ofxaos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hello,

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, the problem I'm having is when I try to open a .exe, the "Open With" screen pops up, it does this with programs
that are currently installed and programs that I'm trying to install (such as MalWare Bytes)

Now I have tried opening programs in all modes, (ex. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safemode with Command prompt)

I also cannot open Internet Explorer or Firefox, however I can still open music, and view pictures, those files do not seem to be bothered by this virus.

I also cannot run the System Restore, it opens up the "Open With" menu... As stated before there isn't a single .exe file that I can open that actual works or runs, everything keeps opening up with the "Open With" screen and of course I'm not given any options to open the .exe

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I'm having to use a friends computer to ask for help since my laptop has been rendered useless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

http://www.mydigitallife.info/reset-and-fix-broken-windows-vista-file-ext-and-type-associations-include-exe-com-sys-zip-lnk-folder-drive/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users