Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infected with system defragmenter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clare87

clare87

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hello

I believe my computer may have been/still is infected with system defragmenter.

I came across this website and followed the instructions given i.e running RKill, followed by MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (which found over 1500 infected files) and at the moment I am now running unhide.exe to try and get my files and start menu listings back.

However this is taking quite a long time and the little black box doesn't seem to be changing at all....is this normal? Also, throughout this process, my Comodo security box has kept popping up saying there is 'malicious items.' Is this trustworthy or can the Malware infection mimick this to trick me? I know it throws threats up in the windows bar but can it also do this in a Comodo security box? I apologise that this sounds so stupid but im confused and suspicious of everything at the moment!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clare87

clare87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

ok to update...

the unhide.exe has finished running. Some word documents and program short-cut icons have re-appeared on my desktop and in my folders. However, my 'START' menu listings are still saying 'empty'....any suggestions on what to do please? I would very much appreciate it!

Thank You :)

#3 clare87

clare87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

I have re-scanned with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware doing a quick-scan and also used Comodo security to do a full scan and both have found no malicious items which must be a good sign!!

Only other issue I have now is in some folders i have icons named 'thumb' and I have seen other posters with the same problem.

Also, most of my saved word documents now have a ~$ at the start of their name and won't open for me???

So thats the 'empty' lists, word documents with strange names and the random 'thumb' icons???

Someone please help.

Edited by clare87, 01 June 2011 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users