Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't View Jpgs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jerseydevil

jerseydevil

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

Hello again, I have been posting related problems but can't find the answers I seek.
Here is the problem.
Since running AVG I can't view jpgs from my external hard drive. I get the following message.
Can't read file header, unknown file format.
The icons are there but when I double click a jpg I get a black screen where the picture should be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

Just a few quick things to try:

1) Have you rebooted your system and removed/reattached the drive to see if it works?

2) Have you tried copying one of the jpegs to a floppy/USB drive and tried reading it on another computer?

3) What are the "related" problems that you're talking about? Generally, it's a good idea to keep all the problems under one topic - that way relationships between the problems can lead to a quicker resolution
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hi usasma,
Yes I tried rebooting, and reattaching the drive, no luck.
No I havn't tried to copy to another pc, but will.
The related problems were loss of files(shn flac) and folders that are there sometimes and gone sometimes.
This all started when I dled and ran AVG.
Accourding to properties my drive is still 99% full.
Any more
advice?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:06 AM

What's (shn flac)?

Your drive is 99% full? That's most likely a major source of this problem!

When Windows does stuff, it uses free space on your hard drive to make temporary files while it's doing it. If there's no room on the drive for this - then you'll have problems with almost any program.

I'd suggest copying a lot of your stuff to CD, or deleting it to make room for Windows to do it's thing. I recommend at least 15% of your drive be free - but you should notice some improvement with as little as 5% of your drive free.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hello again,
first, shn and flac are lossless music files. Secondly, When I try to move file from this drive I get messages about the files missing or being gone. However, when I unplug the drive and plug it back in, I am able to view the photos as thumbnails for a while then it stops working again eventually.
I have a bunch of concerts on this drive that I can view when I first plug in the drive but after a while they dissapear.????????????? Thanks for your time.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info! I've got a "tin ear", so I don't pay much attention to music related subjects.

But, files are files - and your drive is way too full. I think that your problems stem from this "fullness", and should be relieved by moving 14% of the files to CD or to another drive.

Since the drive is so full, you may have to start moving the smallest files first - working your way up in size until you get the 15% free. This will allow Windows to use the minimum amount of room necessary for moving the files (you can also just delete anything that you know you can get elsewhere to help make some space).

Good Luck!

#7 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the input however when I try to remove files, I get some message about not being able to find the files. I can post the exact message when I get home if need be.
Also I am not able to copy pics to my desktop, I think just the irfan icon showed up and when I clicked it, it gave me some message about not being able to find the pic. I can recheck that later too though.

Edited by jerseydevil, 09 January 2006 - 02:09 PM.

#8 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

Just wanted to let you know that the other day after letting this drive sit unplugged for about a week, I was able to access all the files. After moving a lot of my photos to my pc, I deleted about 5 gigs of old junk, ran norton which found nothing and also tried it on my friends laptop. it has been running fine for about a week now and I have been transfering files to cd. :thumbsup: Thanks to those who spent precious time tring to help. Those who said the drive was to full were right I think. Although at the time I couldn't even delete files to check. Thanks

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

I'm glad that you were able to save your files! All too often data is lost in this way.

FWIW - there are ways to work around this if you have to (usually by removing programs and windows components to free up the space).

But, you don't need that now! Good job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users