Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Kudo50 File Type?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 winigo

winigo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Hi ... Has anyone seen this before?

Problem: right-clicking on the desktop (in windows Xp),
choosing New, I see, among other normal items, two entries for

--Kudo50 File type
--Kudovw File Type

clicking on the first opens an icon with the same name which is hilighted. Nothing happens.
clicking on the second sends an error message : "unable to create" (the said file)
"the parameter is incorrect"

i've noticed this for a few months, research with any of the terms did
not give me returns, or any response that i was able to interpret...

Is the computer subject to something anyone is familiar with?

thank you.
PS :Should i post my question anywhere else on the forum?

winigo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

Somthing has added this option to the context menu for your desktop. Without further information it's gonna be difficult to tell what it is.

There may be information in your registry about this file type. If you're comfortable with searching the registry you might find something useful (be careful, and backup the registry before doing anything!)

Also, you could try searching your hard drive for Kudo50 or for Kudo - that may lead you to what's done this.

Since there are no significant hits for this with google - I'd also suggest a complete scan of your system with updated antivirus and antispyware scans. This will ensure that some malware hasn't invaded your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:37 PM

Scan your computer with ...

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta [color=green]
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial
Ewido Anti-Malware
A Squared Free

They will point out where in your computer these files/programs are hidden. Be sure and make notes of the HKey in which there are registered.
FYI running these programs plus a good antivirus and firewall will eliminate them get on your computer to start with. We are here to help. Once you get your computer clean we will help you secure it. What antivirus and antispyware are you running?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 winigo

winigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

:thumbsup:
thank you both,

I searched the hard drive :
search for kudovw :

IN FOLDER : regLocal C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot _Search & Destroy\Backups
TYPE : Registration entries DATE MOD : 9/11/2005 SIZE : 12.8 MB

search for kudo50 :

regLocal C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot _Search & Destroy\Backups 13,172 KB Registration entries 9/11/2005

regUsers C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot _Search & Destroy\Backups 10,531 KB Registration entries 9/11/2005

Note : i scan regularily with most of the anti-spyware you mention
I also posted a HikackThis log a few days ago in the appropriate Discussion because i get frequent suspicious mail.

I have noticed this (kudo file ) entry a couple of months ago. It seems to be part of the SpyBot backup files according to the search results. I am not familiar with Registry entries, What to look for, what to do.

Should i mention this issue to the Hijack this Log posted in the Forum?

Thanks again
w

:flowers:

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

Should i mention this issue to the Hijack this Log posted in the Forum?

After you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days. It would have been best to describe the symptoms you were experiencing in your first post with your log, I guess.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 winigo

winigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

thank you smart boy, I am not so new to this forum..

the issue here is wether my problem should be addressed in the other discussion forum, rather than in this one.
(its not about crashing the party)

w

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

I do believe ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN was being cautious not "smart" . We don't know who are advanced users and who are novice, so we give everyone he same advice. You may not need his advice but someone who reads this topic may benefit from his advice. I know he meant no insult.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:26 AM

winigo - a basic rule when troubleshooting problems is to keep the all the problems in one area. This ensures that the problems can be related to the different systems within the computer.

With viruses and spyware, the troubleshooting has become so specialized that there is a need for security experts who specialize in this function.

Generally, what happens is that, at one point or another, a HiJackThis log is posted in the HJT forums. Any further messing with your system by us (in the regular forums) may prevent the security experts from fixing your infection - so we lay off until the log fixes have been finished.

Then, because malware sometimes breaks the OS, then we get involved again with fixing the breaks. If we do this before the HJT log process - then it's an exercise in futility - since anything that we fix will be broken by the infection.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

From the pinned preperation guide to the HJT forum:

In the white message area, as shown above, write a detailed description of your problem and then press the enter key. Then right click in the white area, below your description of your problem, and select paste. Your HijackThis log will now be pasted in the message box below the description of your problem...

The more you can tell us about a problem, the better and easier it will be to help you. In other words, "Help, I get a blue screen when I start my computer" will only result in the helper asking you what the specific message is. Instead in your first post, actually tell us the message you are receiving.

thank you smart boy, I am not so new to this forum..

Wow. I was simply giving you a direct answer to your question, and an accurate one, I might add.

aklan and usasma are correct also in what they added.

If you follow the directions in the pinned preperation post then you would post a description of the issues along with your original HTJ log, although late is probably better than never. In other words if you are already receiving help from someone in the HJT forum, then it would be a good idea to mention the issues you are experiencing, me thinks. As this can help steer them in the right direction in terms of giving you the needed advice. However, if no one has yet responded to your original post, then my earlier advice would be the way to go for the reasons stated.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 winigo

winigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

a HiJackThis log is posted in the HJT forums. Any further messing with your system by us (in the regular forums) may prevent the security experts from fixing your infection - so we lay off until the log fixes have been finished.

thank you Usasma,

You were the one to mention doing a search on the hard drive to locate the "pirate" files. I did so and posted here.
I did not know my problem could be adressed in the HJT area, that it could be related to some kind of malware.

THank you everyone else, for their advice also.
w
:thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

Sorry if it's a bit confusing, but there was no mention of the HiJackThis log in your original post. If there had been, I'd have referred you directly to them without trying to suggest any research.

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hi winigo

As I noted in your other thread - we'll wait for HJT analysis before continuing on with this subject if needed.

Regards,
KoanYorel
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

Hi guys,

Grinler got winigo fixed up as far as the mysterious Kudo stuff.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=39562&hl=

Looking at the reg entries, it seemed to be from some program with its own file type and context menu. Looking around some, I found this:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/windows/9383

That's pretty obscure and I don't think it can even be downloaded anymore. I don't know if it was legit or not. You would think with it being in the Spybot backups folder, it would be fishy, but those are reg entries and may just be the backup to the registry that you have the option of making with Spybot. I've never heard of a rogue image viewer but i suppose anything is possible. Winigo, do you remember if you or someone who uses your computer ever installed Internet Multimedia Suite with Kudo Image Browser? I don't think it's malware and it's gone now so you shouldn't worry, I'm just curious.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

winigo -

This is just to let you know that we haven't forgotten you. I'll try and get back to it later on today, OK?

#15 winigo

winigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

intersting stuff, papakid,
its seems you have found something... my searches did not take me there.

No, i haven't downloaded this program, but the entry makes sense.
It may have come with some graphic program,
and i might not have been aware of its installation in the past,

i use graphic programs of this nature, but i always use the same ones...

( many are offered free with peripherals --scanner, cameras & graphic suites
but i usually avoid them).
I had a feeling it was not malignant, that's why i posted here,
but it was just an impression..

thanx for the info, i appreciate it

w

Edited by winigo, 20 January 2006 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users