Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Infected on Purpose? Known Rogue AV and/or Poisoned links?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 a_gunslinger

a_gunslinger

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

Remember the easy days of simple viruses? Discover, disnfect, done? We dont have much issue with viruses anymore at our company. Our nemesis is Rogue AV and poisoned links leading to such backdoor malware.

We use McAfee VSE 8.7i here but its a bit complex to setup geared specifici to these attackes. Considering testing how well MWB Pro will do when faced with these.

I want to setup a test PC with MWB Pro on it and try to get it infected. Is there a list of known infected sites or links by chance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

One of the primary goals of Bleeping Computer is to assist victims of infection with removal and to prevent the spread of malicious programs, not encourage them. Therefore, we will not provide active links to malware or malicious sites where infections have been contracted and spread. Others reading this topic may use the information for nefarious purposes or an unwitting novice user may accidentally click a link.

For those and other obvious reasons, we are not going to provide specific information in a public forum. However, you can read How to get Malware/Virus/Trojans on your Home Windows computer and How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and identifies the types of sites where you can easily get infected by not following the advice provided.

WARNING: Some infections can cause so much damage to your system that they cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In those cases you may have no option but to reformat, and performing a clean install of the OS.

If you want to infect your computer in order to test your security programs, there are safer alternatives. Take a look at the EICAR Anti-Virus test file. For a demonstration of the how the EICAR test file works, please refer to this instructional video.

Edited by quietman7, 01 June 2011 - 12:55 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 a_gunslinger

a_gunslinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Bummer, but I understand :thumbup2:

Virus file is a good start but Im more concerned with triggering Rogue AV> But will give it a whirl.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

You can also perform a Google search on "how to infect your computer on purpose" to find information.

Edited by quietman7, 01 June 2011 - 12:55 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Rootkit Hunter

Rootkit Hunter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

There are a number of websites out there that provide active malware samples for research purposes, I used them as part of some grad school work. You might try googling "malware samples". But definitely be extremely care when you install them, I would highly recommend doing some research on malware analysis and methodologies before pulling the trigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users