Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing ubuntu online

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steingis

steingis

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

i seen this looking through these forums

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

and was thinking of installing it on my netbook as i dont have cd drive.

at the moment i have a trial or ungenuine copy of windows on my netbook.

so is this the same as installing from a cd and can i get rid of windows fully with this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

There's info on installing Ubuntu from USB here.
I'd suggest trying it before you install it see here. If you do want to install, Ubuntu will give you on option to install over anything else on the computer.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#3 slipp3d

slipp3d

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

steingis,
I would look into this ...

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

it will make a flash drive bootable and then you can try linux from the usb drive

Personally I would never install linux via Wubi ... all this does is create a 'virtual install' of Ubuntu you would still have your ungenuine copy of windows running with this running on top of it...

If you have more questions drop me a pm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

yea ill scrap the wubi idea then. do i need to do the same thing for installing windows xp on it i havent decided between the 2 yet and do you think it would support xp?

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

Since you haven't given specs for the netbook I can only assume a stripped down install of XP would work, whereas Ubuntu offers a netbook specific version.

As for transfering a set of XP install disks to usb form to install, I think it can be done, try asking in the Windows XP forums, but there is always the option of using a USB DVD Drive.

Posted Image

#6 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

its an acer aspire one aoa 150 ab which version of ubuntu/linux is aimed at netbooks and which windows o/s is aimed at netbooks?

#7 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

From now on with the regular releases of Ubuntu, there isn't a specific Netbook edition. The versions are 'unified' under the Desktop edition, see here. The Lucid Linux version of Ubuntu, ie: the version with long term support does still carry a netbook edition and can be downloaded from here. As far as Windows netbook editions go I'd assume information can be found here.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

I got an Acer Aspire One AOD250 a year ago. It shipped with Windows XP, which I removed and replaced with the conventional Ubuntu 10.04 release (not the Netbook edition). I could not be happier with it. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users