Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not recognizing disks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ImagineaFunnyName

ImagineaFunnyName

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

I've had this problem for a while, and can't find a decent answer for it. Here's what happens:

I'm running XP home, and when I insert a disk (CD, USB, floppy, anything) Windows won't recognize it. The drive will show up in my computer, but when I click on it, it will either show as unformatted, or I will get the "Please insert a disk into drive D:" error. If I restart with the disk inserted, then all is fine, but it's more than a little annoying to have to restart everytime I change a disk.

I had a similar problem a few years back on a work computer, and the IT people told me that there was a piece of software that was superceding Windows and was reading the disk before Windows could get to it, and then Windows never saw the disk. This might be case here as well, but I don't know how to find the heirarchy of software on the computer, let alone how to change said heirarchy.

Anyone know how to do that - or have any other ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:56 AM

If you are saying...that Windows will not recognize any removeable media...I'd have to guezs that's a motherboard problem...since different controllers are used for the various types of media.

<<I had a similar problem a few years back on a work computer, and the IT people told me that there was a piece of software that was superceding Windows and was reading the disk before Windows could get to it, and then Windows never saw the disk. This might be case here as well, but I don't know how to find the heirarchy of software on the computer, let alone how to change said heirarchy.>>

I think that's nonsense...how can a program installed in Windows...begin before Windows does :)? Maybe they were joking, I certainly hope so.

Have you taken a look...and did any research...on the errors reflected in Event Viewer?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#3 ImagineaFunnyName

ImagineaFunnyName
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Louis. I hadn't checked the event viewer as I haven't been getting any error messages, but I did just look at it, and don't see anything that seems related.

As for it being a motherboard problem, that would make sense to me except that if I restart with the media in the computer, it's fine. It's only when I try to insert and open while Windows is running. If it's the motherboard, wouldn't it just not work? That's why I think it's a software problem somehow. But, I might be totally off...

You might be correct about the hierarchy being nonsense...but it's not about the other program starting first. They are both running, but when removable media is put in, somehow this other program is set to be the first thing to look at it and it doesn't let Windows into it. Then when I restart, Windows sees it first since it just booted with it. I don't know if I'm explaining the thoughts in my head well or not, but you know how sometimes you can plug a camera into your comp and the camera software will start downloading photos before the camera even shows up in the My Computer bit of Windows? Kind of like that. It's only after the boot - obviously Windows would boot first, but some software has priority with the removable media. Does that make more sense?

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep playing around and see if I can get anywhere. If you have any other thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Does the same thing happen in safe mode?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users