Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home/Toshiba recovery program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Just a review: I don't know is anyone remembers that I took in this Toshiba Satellite A105-S2101, running XP Home SP3. to repair. Well, I now own it. I have the recovery and Applications disk so I can wipe this clean and get it back to factory settings. This is a real high end laptop and has a lot of Toshiba bells and whistles. The BIOS as out of date. Question: should I flash the BIOS before or after I wipe this? In all my years, I have never flashed BIOS so my cautious side is kicking in, quite like when I was learning how to edit the Registry.

There are a couple conflicts as the first owner had it networked with other computers and willy nilly put in several ways to connect to the net, most of which do not work. Dialup works and I can plug in my daughter's AT&T modem and that works, but I want the wireless to kick in. I have a wireless CardBus adapter, but when I plug it in, it disables the mouse. I hope this is only a malfunction because of all the junk on here.

Whomever had this first, overclocked it to the max. I want to know if that will interfere with the recovery. Pretty sweet machine, actually. I need ideas, thoughts, etc before I do this recovery. You guys are the best!!!

Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Restore-to-factory-defaults...does exactly what it states.

Nothing that is currently on the system should impact that, unless you have hardware problemx.

Louis

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

Restore-to-factory-defaults...does exactly what it states.

Nothing that is currently on the system should impact that, unless you have hardware problemx.

Louis

Good, that is what I want. No, no hardware problems. I am having one other thought. On the back of the case with the recovery disk, it gives instructions and the first thing is: place the disk or #1 disk into the drive. Insinuating that there is supposed to be another one. I am thinking this one is for all the Toshiba stuff, drivers, apps, etc and I should have another one for the OS. True/

J

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

You would have to review your system documentation...to know how the restore mechanism works, what's required, etc.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=1310942&rpn=PSAA5U&modelFilter=A105-S2101&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

Louis

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

I would not flash the BIOS unless the BIOS update addresses an issue that you are having.
If it aint broken, dont fix it.

Go into the BIOS and reset it back to the defaults. THen make sure the boot sequence is set to the cdrom first.
That should be all you need to do.
The recovery disk should format the drive & reload it back to factory specs.
Make sure to check device manager when done to ensure all drivers are loaded correctly.
WOuld not hurt to download them from the Toshiba site in advance
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

I would not flash the BIOS unless the BIOS update addresses an issue that you are having.
If it aint broken, dont fix it.

Go into the BIOS and reset it back to the defaults. THen make sure the boot sequence is set to the cdrom first.
That should be all you need to do.
The recovery disk should format the drive & reload it back to factory specs.
Make sure to check device manager when done to ensure all drivers are loaded correctly.
WOuld not hurt to download them from the Toshiba site in advance

That's my motto. From what I have read, the only issue an upgrade to the BIOS takes care of is the boot up password, which I don't use. My boot sequence is set that way, wasn't at first, don't know why anyone would change that. Anyone who knows how to overclock a machine, should know how to make the boot sequence right.

Thank you for this link. I will go get the drivers. My problem is, I know there has to be an OS (OEM) disk, so I have asked my friend to look for it. I joined the Toshiba forum but it seems that they know less than I do. Or they want to keep the info secret.

Will get back to you in a bit.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users