Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Loading Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

I have used Firefox for a long time and upgraded to 1.5 on the version release. All has run well until yesterday when it started behaving strangely after I caused a system crash by pulling the power out at the wrong time (I know, I know). Since then FF has started in less than full screensize , using large icons and showing all additional toolbars. I can easily return it to my prefered settings (full screen, small icons, navigation and bookmark toolbars only) but its a pain. I run it using the Outlook 2003 theme.

Anyone know how I can make it retain my preferred settings?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

Sounds like you may have corrupted your profile folder.
Try a complete uninstall of Firefox, followed by a reinstall.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

Uninstall your current version from Add/Remove programs.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete this folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Then reinstall Firefox.

You might want to make a copy of Bookmark.html while your in there.
It's located here:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.7dp \ Bookmark.html
That way you can replace the new one created, with all of your current bookmarks.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:54 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately it has not solved the problem - in fact I cannot use Firefox at all now.

I followed all the instructions above although I could not find the default.7dap sub-directory, I did find some profile backup files and deleted add/remove etc as instructed.

I then reinstalled Firefox which seemed to go smoothly but it would not start from the desktop icons. I did a system restart and tried again. After a long wait a grey box appeared "Firefox is already running but not responding. To open a new window you must first close the existing Firefox Process or restart your system". Firefox did not appear as a running process in Task Manager.

I did a system restore back to before the crash occurred and went through the whole process again but without any difference. I uninstalled again then used CC cleaner to do a registry check. It picked up a least a dozen invalid Firefox keys which I told it to delete. Then did a fresh install but with no improvement. Each time I do a system restart then try to start Firefox I get the same grey box.

I'm stuck, any advice would be most welcome
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#4 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

Well after much hunting around in the FF Knowledge Base it turns out that the error message (which is specific to FF 1.5) means I have to create a new Profile.

This is done using the RUN command: firefox.exe -P which throws up a create profile dialogue box. Once created FF runs perfectly except that it in my particular case all my Themes, Extensions, Bookmarks and stored passwords were lost. Ah well many happy hours recreating things on a miserable January Sunday!

At least it works and this event has certainly brought home to me how much nicer FF is to use than IE6

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

Glad to hear you were able to get it fixed, Supermart57.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users