Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I CAN'T GET LOGS POSTED!!!! Redirection to harmful sights, slow down , won't switch off/on properly etc. TDL3 / TDL4@MBR rootkit infection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 russell69

russell69

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

Hi,
Thank you in advance,
I hope with someone's patient help this will save me having to do a reinstall of windows on my machine.
We started getting redirected when clicking on results from Google searches so immediately ran various anti virus/malware scans including AVG,AVAST,MALWAREBYTES,MICROSOFT's offerings and lastly COMBOFIX, They all found and deleted problems plus ComboFix seems to have helped with getting usable speed back to us (sometimes) but the redirection and constant new threats being found remain plus I'm sure it's just a matter of time before things get worse again if it's not totally removed.
Also when starting the machine there is often only my background photo- no icons or start menu so I have to do a restart through task manager, and when closing down often it won't & we have to do manually with the power button.
Speed comes & goes regardless of what I'm doing on the machine & usually it's something in SVCHOST.EXE that's using all the CPU's power.
A friend who knows much more about computers than me put me onto this site because he can't think of anything else for me to try.
We stopped using I.E and went to Firefox, swapped from Google to Bing and the problem is always there. PLEASE COULD SOMEONE TRY TO HELP.

Dell Desktop, Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, SP3.
Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Hello russell69 ,

Posted Image

If you still need help, please post the ComboFix report, as well as the report from MBAM, and I'll have a look. :)

Thanks,
tea
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#3 russell69

russell69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

Hi Tea,
Thanks for the reply, I'd just given up on getting a responce so reinstalled windows 2 nights ago! Looking at your reply if I'd have waited another day you may have been able to help me-oh well that's life & I'm now working at finding/downloading/installing the correct drivers for the reinstall.... I knew it'd be hard that's why I was trying to avoid doing it!
I'll try to close the post I'd started too while I have use of this other machine.
Many thanks.
Russell.

#4 russell69

russell69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Sorry guys don't bother responding to this post.
I can't work out how to shut down my Bleeping post! Bleeping computers they do my Bleeping head in!

#5 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hi Russell,

Not a problem. I'll close this as soon as I finish this post. :thumbup2:

I am so sorry for the delay. There are about 350 unanswered topics right now, and just not enough of us volunteers to keep up. :(

I do hope you get your system running just the way you want it.

Take care,
tea

Posted Image

#6 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users