Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect + iexplore.exe starting randomly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dhanco

Dhanco

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

I am currently running Windows Vista (no service packs). From the moment my laptop starts up, iexplore.exe beings to run on it's own and slowly works it's way towards using 50% of the cpu. When I click on links in google using Mozilla Firefox or IE, the links may sometimes redirect me to an ad page.

I was recently infected with the Windows Recovery Trojan but went through an uninstall guide and deleted the files and set the registry back to what it was previously manually. I used my antivirus program (avast!) to run a full system scan and it deleted 4 infected files. The problem with iexplore.exe and the google redirect problem are still ongoing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edit] I constantly end the iexplore.exe process using the task manager but it keeps restarting itself roughly every 2-3 minutes.

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2011 - 11:19 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

Can you post the logs that were generated via the removal process, as well as the rkill.

#3 Dhanco

Dhanco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

My anti virus program didn't create a log unfortunately but the rkill log is as follows:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 5/2011 Sun at 16:39:44.
Operating System: Windows Vista ™ Home Premium

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\remind.exe
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\11060501\Sf.bin
C:\WINDOWS\System32\grpconv.exe

Rkill completed on 5/2011 Sun at 16:40:24.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users