Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery and Redirect issues with XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DoktorC

DoktorC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

I'm trying to rid my wife's laptop of the Recovery Virus.

I did the Malwarebytes (installed from my USB stick) and it picked up 3 trojans and now the computer functions without all the crazy pop-up warnings BUT all of her files are missing (hidden) and any malware/virus checker I try to use will not download. Google is redirecting me to a virus repair website and I'm getting a corrupt file warning if I try to Restore. I'm kinda stuck..

Thanks.

Rick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DoktorC

DoktorC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:29 PM

Okay, I was able to run Rkill then re-run MBAM which caught a few more. The virus seemed to refresh itself on restart..I found a couple sketchy items in the start-up so I unclicked them. I seem to be making headway but I'm still getting a redirect in IE so I can't run any of the recommended web based scans or the unhide program to get all of my files to reappear.

What should be my next step? I am searching this site and finding LOTS of help and direction on what programs to run but I can't access them!!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users