Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

My neighbor called tonight and said his wife changed the password to start his Vista machine and must have hit the wrong key. Now they can't get into it.

Can I go into Safe Mode and get rid of it. And what F-key to hit if so. If not, how do I go into Adminstrative to delete the password?

Thanks so much for any responses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

Really need to see if anyone has a solution. Supposed to go over to their house this afternoon to see if I can get them back in instead of having to do a complete nuke and burn (reformat and reinstall).

Thanks!

#3 Jim Ow

Jim Ow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

Might be able to delete it in Safe Mode as you said. You'll have to press F8 and keep pressing it as soon as the PC turns on, it will then give you various options, choose Safe Mode, if there's an Administrator account then your set, if not then you'll have to try something else.

I have a disk that I use for things like this, i'll see if I can find the ISO with the name on it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

If you consult the system manufacturer's owner/user manual...it probably tells how to overcome password snafus. If not, then the system manufacturer's website should.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#5 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Might be able to delete it in Safe Mode as you said. You'll have to press F8 and keep pressing it as soon as the PC turns on, it will then give you various options, choose Safe Mode, if there's an Administrator account then your set, if not then you'll have to try something else.

I have a disk that I use for things like this, i'll see if I can find the ISO with the name on it.

Went into safe mode, but it seems like he might have a password on that. Tried different ones that he may have set it up with, but to no avail. I might have set the computer up when he first got it, but usually don't set up a password for the Administrative area.

Any other ideas before I do a nuke and burn? Have all his disks, but don't want to pull out his HD just to back it up if I don't have to. And plus it's a Dell slimline model, so it might be a bit tight in there.

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

Too late, had to completely reformat and reinstall everything. What a pain. Sure was there was an easier way to get past this. And they lost everything too and supposedly they had tons of pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users