Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating BIOS on Windows 7 PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Finsteigle

Finsteigle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

This is an old HP PC I have recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and I have to say it has never run better

I have an ASUSTek A7N8X-LA motherboard with ver. 3.05 BIOS and an AMD Athlon™ 2600+ processor

I want to upgrade to the latest BIOS that supports SSE2 instructions (for game playing purposes), however, I have run into a snag that the most recent BIOS ver 3.21 is still only XP compatible. Neither ASUS or HP are willing to provide any free support.

This is somewhat frustrating as the BIOS in situ appears to be the original 2003 version. I could have easily updated this to the latest version before I upgraded the OS to Windows 7, but now it is to late.

Q. Dare I use the XP BIOS and what steps can I take to protect against permanent disaster if things go wrong?

Can anyone advise me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

<<...but now it is to late.>>

Why?

There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7...so installing Win 7 had to leave the XP install intact, if you used the upgrade version of Win 7.

If it's an HP system, you should have recovery/restore disks that would allow reversion to XP. At that time, the BIOS update could be done...but if that update only supports XP...I don't see what is gained...unless you just run XP.

Sounds to me like a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo is needed here, not an updated O/S. It's hard to bring computer technology from over 8 years ago...into 2011 performance/capabilities, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users