Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all browsers very slow, STILL


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rrpreach

rrpreach

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hello,
If you can look this over and help me out it would be appreciated. This is a weird ongoing problem.
I have a Alienware M15X and a M11X.
Both are a year old.
I am NOT a gamer. I purchased these (Alienware laptops)to run Logos 4 Bible software. Yes, you read correctly, to run bible software. :)
Both Laptops are win 7 Ultimate 8g ram. M15 has an I7 processor and the M11 is actually almost as fast. I use the M15X the most. I am a bi-vocational minister, so I have another job and I take the M15X to work everyday and also use at home for work. The M11X is mostly used at church and on vacations (it is small).
I have high speed internet (wireless in my home) with Cisco E3000 router and a new modem. Both have always delivered perfectly.
My problem started about a month ago.
I have/had MailInfo software that let me know when the receipiant of my email(s) looked at/read their email(s). This helped in my ministry activities and I had this software about 4 years. If you are not familiar with MailInfo, as soon as the receipiant read their email, most times I would get a pop-up that would tell me 'so and so' just looked at the email via their respective ISP.
Now the begining of the 'problem'.
As soon as I would hit 'send' on an outgoing email, within 10 seconds, I would get a pop-up saying that a person using 'Rogers Cable' had just looked at the email. I never thought too much about it until I noticed over the next week, that no matter where I sent a email, 'Rogers Cable' recipiant would look at it.
I googled Rogers Cable and they only operate in Canada! None of my emails ever went to Canada!
I called MY ISP and they had/still have no answers.
I called MailInfo and they said they only report the results.
Since this started (about a month ago) I now have my emails going to China also!
here is a copy of a MailInfo report back to me...

Mailinfo™ Report
This message has been viewed 6 times.
Sun 5/8/2011 22:31:11 (Location A) ROGERS CABLE INC
Sun 5/8/2011 22:29:53 (Location A) ROGERS CABLE INC
Sat 5/7/2011 20:25:08 (Location A) ROGERS CABLE INC
Fri 5/6/2011 23:34:38 (Location C) CNCGROUP BEIJING PROVINCE NETWORK
Fri 4/29/2011 08:52:53 (Location B) CNCGROUP BEIJING PROVINCE NETWORK
Fri 4/29/2011 05:58:04 (Location A) ROGERS CABLE INC
Locations are approximate.
click here to learn about accuracy levels.

Message (This is a copy, click here for the actual item sent)


AS you can image, I was concerned.
I am not niave to think someone could not get into my computer if they really wanted to, but for the life of me, I don't know why someone would want in mine. I really don't care if they look at my email (only because I cannot stop them I suppose).

So I got rid of MailInfo.

Ran Super AntiMalware, Rootkit and about 3 other spy ware utilities.
I already had SpyBot and Microsoft Security Essentials, with everything up to date.
I have BelArc Advisor and have always tried to learn/ protect and understand my laptops.

So now all my browsers have slowed to a crawl. I mainly use IE9, but also have FireFox and recently brought in Chrome.
I even uninstalled IE9, uninstalled FireFox, brought both back in again, but no joy!

So I called my ISP, we hooked the laptop directly into the modem, ran the 'SpeedTest.net', yuck! Downloads about 1. to 5. Mbps and uploads about .6 to .9 Mbps.
Normal used to be 13. to 14 Mbps download and 1.5 to 1.9 uploads before this problem.

Now for the twist!

My ISP helper had me connect my M11X to the modem, and it got the usual 13. to 14. downloads and 1.7 to 1.9 uploads!
I unplugged the M11X from the modem, and used the wireless for the test.... 13. to 14. downloads and 1.7 to 1.9 uploads!

I have gone thru the list of programs, nothing new, everything looks in order.

I have had CCleaner for some time and use occassionally. The registry should be and seems in order.

With the exception of the (all 3) browsers being slow, this M15X runs extremely FAST! Always has and still does.

I have 250 GB of unused hard drive.

Stumped! I am stumped!!

rrpreach

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 rrpreach

rrpreach
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

seems to be fixes..perhaps.
Will report back if NOT.
Thanks

#3 rrpreach

rrpreach
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

seems to be faster (browsers), as fast as before the problem, at least some times.

#4 rrpreach

rrpreach
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

hmmmmmm.... false alarm. I brought in LavaSoft Spyware and a bad program was found, 'SWEETIM(963)'. I did not install it! Anyway it is gone now but browsers (all) are still very irratic, sometimes starting fast and then dragging to an almost stop.
If I must, I will wipe the hard drive.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users