Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kenyan

kenyan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

My computer is demon possessed. I bought all the hardware for it about five months ago from Tiger Direct, and after being built, it booted up every once in awhile, but often I had to try and boot it ten to twenty times before it would actually boot up. I have had a computer repair shop and another guy who works on building computers sometimes work on it, and nothing has come up. Now, it hasn't even booted up in the past two months.

When I power it on, the fan, power supply, hard drive and everything turn on. The hard drive does its beep, the ethernet card lights up, etc. However, the video card's fan does either a partial revolution or none at all, and then stops. When I was able to boot it up, I always knew that it would when the video card's fan kept going. Sometimes If I held the power on button a bit longer it would jump start the fan (it may have not started going at first, but a second later it did). The LED on the monitor just flashes at me (which means it is not getting a signal or any information).

We at first thought it was the motherboard. We got it replaced. Nothing. Then we thought it was the video card. I just got its replacement in, and that didn't work. We have tried the removing the sticks of RAM and just trying them independently. Nothing. The power connectors should work, because we also got replacements of those, and they worked with for example the DVD drive and the hard drive. We also tried a different monitor which we knew worked. Still nothing. I unplugged everything from the back except for the video card, power supply, monitor, mouse, and keyboard (and there are no other cards within the system). It still did not work. I feel like there is nothing left to try. This weekend we're going to try a different power supply just in case its not getting enough power, even though I think that it should be capable of giving enough power.

Below is a list of the hardware in the computer.

Logitech Labtec Internet Desktop Keyboard & Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM Version
Corsair Value Select 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL2.5 (2x)
PNY Personal Cinema FX 5700 128MB AGP (The video card)
Chaintech MK8M800 Socket 754 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Socket 754 NewCastle CPU
Toshiba 16x Dual Layer DVD +/- RW OEM Black
Codegen ATX Mid Tower Case, 400W, Front Media Port
Maxtor 120GB EIDE HD 7200/8MB/ATA-133

The power supply came with the case, and the 400W is the maximum. I believe the more realistic figure is 350W.

The processor is a 1.8GHz I believe.

The system requirements for the video card are as follows.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
* Microsoft® Windows® 2000, or Windows® XP
* 800MHz Pentium® III / AMD™ equivalent processor or higher
* 128MB system RAM (256MB or higher recommended)
* A 250W system power supply
* A motherboard with an AGP 2.0 or 3.0 slot
* 5 GB of available hard disk space
* DVD±RW/±R/CD-RW (for users who want to watch and/or create DVDs on their PC)
* A free USB port (required for remote control)
* DVI or VGA compatible monitor

Please help and if you have any questions I will be checking often.

If the second power supply does not work, I might see what Best Buy's policy is for fixing computers.

Edited by kenyan, 06 January 2006 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

You may have a bad power supply. Do you know what the power readings are (voltage)? Do you have another PS to try even if it is too small to power the whole system?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

Also are you getting any sort of reading on the screen, whether it is a BIOS read out or any sort of logo, anything really, if you are then it kinda narrows it down to it is not your motherboard or video card, their still could be things wrong with your motherboard. Also, do you have a modem, if so take it out and see if it works, do you have front USBs, if so unhook, they sometimes short out and cause no boot up.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#4 kenyan

kenyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

You may have a bad power supply. Do you know what the power readings are (voltage)? Do you have another PS to try even if it is too small to power the whole system?

I believe the voltages you are asking for are 115V- and 230V-.

My friend has a power supply which we will be taking out of his computer and placing in mine tommorow. This one should be enough to power my system as it is powering a computer with more requirements than mine.

Also are you getting any sort of reading on the screen, whether it is a BIOS read out or any sort of logo, anything really, if you are then it kinda narrows it down to it is not your motherboard or video card, their still could be things wrong with your motherboard. Also, do you have a modem, if so take it out and see if it works, do you have front USBs, if so unhook, they sometimes short out and cause no boot up.

There is no reading whatsoever on the screen. I do not have a modem. I do have front USBs, but they were already disconnected. I did try connecting them again too, but it did not help.

Edited by kenyan, 06 January 2006 - 05:09 PM.

#5 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

Wow, how frustrating!

If the new power supply doesn't solve the problem, I would suggest a new case/tower. Sounds like its about the only thing you haven't switched out at some point. Could be some little flaw somewhere shorting things out?

I hope you find the solution--otherwise, it will haunt you forever. heh Be sure to let us know.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Are you plugging a power connector (similar to the one plugged in to the hard drive) into the back of the video card? The video card may not be getting enough power.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

Actually I was referring to the voltage at the plug the power your CD, hard drive, floppy,.. not your input voltage. I assume you have power going to your machine. The inside your computer voltage should read 3v, 5v depending on which plug you test.

#8 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:57 PM

I work at a computer repair shop and I once had someone bring in a computer with the same sort of problem, and theirs was also custom built. I don't want to mis judge your computer building skills but this person was also confident in their building skills, and their small little problem was that they forgot to put the small brass studs in for the motherboard to sit on. So just check that, it might not be that but I personally cannot think of anything else that could cause the problem. Could also be memory or processor, my suggestion is to stripe down to bare bone and insert one by one. First start with processor and video card hooked up see what happens. Good Luck!

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

#9 kenyan

kenyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:03 AM

Are you plugging a power connector (similar to the one plugged in to the hard drive) into the back of the video card? The video card may not be getting enough power.

Yeah, we have a power connector plugged into the video card. Actually, we have tried a lot of different connectors in case one of those were the problem.

Actually I was referring to the voltage at the plug the power your CD, hard drive, floppy,.. not your input voltage. I assume you have power going to your machine. The inside your computer voltage should read 3v, 5v depending on which plug you test.

I'm still not positive what you are looking for, but here is another try. The Power Supply has this written on it (+3.3V & +5V = 235W Max; -5V & -12V = 9.6W Max. ALL MAXIMUM OUTPUT IS 400 W)
Also,

Orange Red Yellow Purple White Blue
+3.3V +5V +12V +5VSB -5V -12V

The hard drive has written on it .... +5V and +12V.
If you need the numbers for the cd rom drive as well please tell me. I do not have a floppy drive.

their small little problem was that they forgot to put the small brass studs in for the motherboard to sit on.

I heard about that once before, but I'll have to get back to you on that later today because I can't check that right now.

Edited by kenyan, 07 January 2006 - 10:21 AM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

I'm still not positive what you are looking for, but here is another try. The Power Supply has this written on it (+3.3V & +5V = 235W Max; -5V & -12V = 9.6W Max. ALL MAXIMUM OUTPUT IS 400 W)
Also,

Orange Red Yellow Purple White Blue
+3.3V +5V +12V +5VSB -5V -12V

The hard drive has written on it .... +5V and +12V.
If you need the numbers for the cd rom drive as well please tell me. I do not have a floppy drive.

That is the voltages I was referring to. If you can use a voltmeter check the actual volts at the plugs.

#11 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:59 PM

I built my pc from scratch as well. I put those brass things in, but I didn't realize how important they are. Thanks for the heads up, VB4. Just goes to show how the tiniest thing can have a huge effect on a computer. The more complex, the more points of possible failure, eh?
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#12 kenyan

kenyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

Okay, my friend and I took a working high powered computer and we switched the two power supplies. Mine worked on his, his did not work on mine. We switched video cards, and again mine worked on his. His thoughts are that it is the mother board even though i already replaced it once. This is because he says the only two things that would have a bearing on whether or not a video card runs are the mother board and the power supply/power wires. If the processor, RAM, monitor, or anything else did not work, the video card heat sink should still work. So unless it is the brass studs, I guess i'll try the mother board again. It is still under warranty.

Could you tell me more about the brass studs? I actually had some other guys build the computer and I've only gained my knowledge from this extensive ordeal. I can't remember anything about brass studs.

That is the voltages I was referring to. If you can use a voltmeter check the actual volts at the plugs.

I'm assuming that if the power supply worked on his computer, than this is no longer a problem.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

This is because he says the only two things that would have a bearing on whether or not a video card runs are the mother board and the power supply/power wires. If the processor, RAM, monitor, or anything else did not work

Sorry to complicate things but I don't think that's right. The video card will not become active until the motherboard has finished "initialising" and that could fail because of RAM, CPU or Motherboard.

Just on the offchance clear the CMOS (there should be a jumper indicated in the manual) and replace the CMOS battery.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:50 PM

There are screws that hold down your motherboard and those screws are screwed into brass studs that elevate the motherboard so it does not come into any contact with the metal computer case. So I guess the only way for you to check to make sure they are in is to unhook everything from teh motherboard, unscrew the screws and check. Those studs serve a huge importance but are very small in size, if a motherboard would come into contact with that computer case, it would short out the motherbaord and causing it to not boot up.

This person who built your computer, was it a friend or a company!?

Good Luck!

#15 kenyan

kenyan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

This person who built your computer, was it a friend or a company!?

it was a couple of friends, one of whom had built onet before and the other had just had messed around with the parts. I then had it sent to a computer repair shop... he got it working but he said it really didn't work all the time with the video card (he was doing it for free as a friend so I didn't get jipped). It worked for a little while, then stopped again. By then I had to go to college already, and I have another friend who worked in a computer repair shop and has done everything with computers except motherboards.

My experience was nil until this whole thing started. Now I understand a lot more (I didn't even know what a processor or a mother board was when I first started) and am doing a lot of it myself.

Just on the offchance clear the CMOS (there should be a jumper indicated in the manual) and replace the CMOS battery.

I'll try that. We had to do that a couple times before near the beginning, but we haven't done it recently.

Sorry to complicate things but I don't think that's right. The video card will not become active until the motherboard has finished "initialising" and that could fail because of RAM, CPU or Motherboard.

i sort of thought that. In fact, I was taking it even farther because the video card came with more things to hook up to it as well, and the first few guys... including the repair shop... didn't hook up those extra wires (like a radio antenna and a remote control receiver). after the computer didn't work for awhile, i tryed those and it suddenly worked again. but that didn't last too long. and now i don't believe those really are necessary after the experiments today.

It does seem though that if certain equipment is not attached, the motherboard quits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users