Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS REMOVAL

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CMACY

CMACY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hello!!! I work from home and i really dont know much about computers. However, this website has been a life saver. The wonderful MS removal tool was installed in my computer and i am having a horrible time trying to get rid of it, as i said i work from home and have no assistance from an IT dept. I was following the instructions on this website on how to remove this from my computer, i was able to follow all the instructions until i got to step #23, not sure how to do this (i am sorry this may be a really dumb questions but really appreciate your help)can you please give me detailed explanation on how to do this:

23. We now need to delete the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file. Once it is deleted, download the following HOSTS file that corresponds to your version of Windows and save it in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder. If the contents of the HOSTS file opens in your browser when you click on a link below then right-click on the appropriate link and select Save Target As..., if in Internet Explorer, or Save Link As.., if in Firefox, to download the file.

Windows XP HOSTS File Download Link
Windows Vista HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 2003 Server HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 2008 Server HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 7 HOSTS File Download Link

Edited by Budapest, 31 May 2011 - 05:39 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi CMACY,

:welcome: to BleepingComputer. Sorry for the delay. My name is Jason, and I'll be helping you. You can call me by my screename jntkwx or Jason is fine.

My motto is "the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked." So I don't consider your question a dumb question. :)

:step1: Let's temporarily show hidden files and folders. The easiest way to do this is to hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (usually next to the Alt key), and press the R key at the same time:
Posted Image

This should bring up the Run window. Type in control folders (with a space), and click OK. The Folder Options window should open. Click on the View tab, and under Hidden Files and Folders, select show hidden files, folders, and drives. Click Apply, then OK.

:step2: You should be able to navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ and you'll find a file called HOSTS. It is safe to delete this file, as we will replace it in step 3, below.

:step3: We need to know what version of Windows you are running. Let's open the Run window, as done previously, and type in winver and click OK. This will tell you whether you're running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. You should then be able to right click on the appropriate link on the Remove MS Removal Tool page and select Save Target As..., if in Internet Explorer, or Save Link As.., if in Firefox, to download the file appropriate for your version of Windows. Save it in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ folder. Then restart your computer.

:step4: Re-hide hidden files a folders. Open the Run window (as done previously), type in control folders (with a space), and click OK. Click on the View tab, and under Hidden files and folders, select Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives, click Apply and OK.

:step5: Just to be sure all malware is removed, open Malwarebytes', click on the Update tab, and click Check for Updates to download the latest updates. Then click on the Scanner tab, and perform a new Quick Scan. Please post the log in your next reply.

In your next reply, please include:
  • Malwarebtes' Log
  • If you ran into any problems following my steps
  • How's the computer running now?

Edited by jntkwx, 05 June 2011 - 06:21 PM.

Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users