Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing one motherboard with another

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dfv8

dfv8

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hello all from across the pond,

I hope that this is located in the correct area, please move if not.

I've just replaced an Asus M2N32WS-Pro motherboard for an M2N32SLI deluxe but I seem to have hit a snag. My problem is that after I get the Asus splash screen, the Windows screen follows, then is replaced by one asking if I want to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc.

I am able to access the BIOS by pressing the Delete key, with no problem, but cannot see any post messages following pressing the Tab key because they flash by too quickly.

The computer then just keeps restarting continuously following the restart countdown. I should add that I've checked the drive boot sequence setting and all is as it should be.

Could anybody advise how I can solve this problem please, bearing in mind that I'm no overclocker?

My self built system comprises of the following:

Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600
Antec EA650 psu
Antec P180 case
Enermax Aurora keyboard
3DConnexion SpacePilot
ATI FireGL 3300 graphics card, shortly going to ATI FireGL 7600
Crucial Ballistix memory 2 x 1Gb
Western Digital 250 Gb hard drive
Windows Professional 32 Bit

Sincerely,

dfv8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

If any motherboard swap should have worked without hassle, that should be it as both have the same chipset.

Least hassle way is to do a repair install of Windows. Not a format, but just a repair install so as to not lose data/programs.

Edited by dpunisher, 31 May 2011 - 04:03 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 dfv8

dfv8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the reply,

Funnily enough, I thought it should be ok as well.

I think what I'll do first is revert back to the earlier Motherboard first an see what happens.

The reason I changed the motherboard from the M2N32 WS Pro in the first place was that lately the machine needed a few presses of the start button on the case to start up properly. On normal operation the fans would start up at high rpm, then reduce as the machine booted. From that time the machine operation has been fine.

What has recently been happening is that the fan rpm doesn't reduce, and the thing just hangs-up. This then requires a manual switch-off by holding the button in for a couple of seconds or more to turn off the machine, then restarting. After about thirty attempts, all would boot-up normally. Sometimes, if I press the button, the machine would power-off, then as soon as I let it go the machine tries to powers-up immediately; but there's no consistency about it.

As I had the M2N32SLI Deluxe as a spare I'd thought I would try that, but that's just dug me a deeper hole to climb out of.

The power supply was changed about four months ago so I'd expect that to be ok, when I last looked the last time I booted into the BIOS the following voltages were observed:

Vcore voltage: 1.37V
3.3V voltage: 3.26V
5V voltage: 4.86V
12V voltage: 11.84V

When I originally assembled the system five years ago I had a similar problem with the machine constantly rebooting itself. The only way I was able to stop this was to increase the RAM voltage to 2.05 volts. From that day to this the machine has been very stable - until now.

Maybe the RAM is on it's way out?

Will advise what happens when I swap back.

Thanks, and kind regards,

dfv8

#4 dfv8

dfv8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reply,

Funnily enough, I thought it should be ok as well.

I tried to start in safe mode but had a list of files quickly scrolling down the screen, then nothing.

I think what I'll do first is revert back to the earlier Motherboard first an see what happens.

The reason I changed the motherboard from the M2N32 WS Pro in the first place was that lately the machine needed a few presses of the start button on the case to start up properly. On normal operation the fans would start up at high rpm, then reduce as the machine booted. From that time the machine operation has been fine.

What has recently been happening is that the fan rpm doesn't reduce, and the thing just hangs-up. This then requires a manual switch-off by holding the button in for a couple of seconds or more to turn off the machine, then restarting. After about thirty attempts, all would boot-up normally. Sometimes, if I press the button, the machine would power-off, then as soon as I let it go the machine tries to powers-up immediately; but there's no consistency about it.

As I had the M2N32SLI Deluxe as a spare I'd thought I would try that, but that's just dug me a deeper hole to climb out of.

The power supply was changed about four months ago so I'd expect that to be ok, when I last looked the last time I booted into the BIOS the following voltages were observed:

Vcore voltage: 1.37V
3.3V voltage: 3.26V
5V voltage: 4.86V
12V voltage: 11.84V

When I originally assembled the system five years ago I had a similar problem with the machine constantly rebooting itself. The only way I was able to stop this was to increase the RAM voltage to 2.05 volts. From that day to this the machine has been very stable - until now.

Maybe the RAM is on it's way out?

Will advise what happens when I swap back.

Thanks, and kind regards,

dfv8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users