Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Now Showing as RAW

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hey there one and all,

In need of a little assistance in an area i'm not particularly familiar.

I have a Western Digital external hard drive - 320 GB.

I've used it extensively to transfer files around and keep back ups of important bits and pieces. I recently bought a new laptop and tried to transfer a bunch of music and other things from my old system over and the hard drive seems to have ground to a halt.

The old computer was a Windows Vista OS and the new system is Windows 7. Aside form this, there is nothing new about what i've been using the hard drive for.

It shows in the " my computer " area and i'm able to assign the drive a letter in the disc management option, but if I double click on the drive to explore it, the access light on the front of the disc flickers for what seems like an eternity, but there is no response.

The only additional piece of information that I think worthy of inclusion is that the file partition is now showing as a RAW format.

can anyone advise a piece of software that may be able to recover the contents of such a drive ??

I'm grateful as always for your support !
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

Not free, but demo version will give you an idea, if the files are recoverable: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-raw-drive.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

Thanks so much for the advice .... i'll give it a shot this evening.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Let us know :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users