Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from XP While Having Damaged System32 Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Suds37

Suds37

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Alright, so I want to upgrade a computer that is running Windows XP currently to Windows 7. I know that it is possible and that this computer is capable of running Windows 7, and I have the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade package. However, there was some damage done by a virus on this computer. The virus was removed, but there are System32 files that are damaged as a result. The owner of the computer had this machine custom built, and they don't have any of the disks for Windows or anything to try running a repair. I am wondering if running the upgrade will fix the problems with System32 files or if they will even be a factor in the upgrade. Shedding some light on this situation would be great! Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

There is no direct upgrade path from XP to W7. You will essentially be doing a clean install, so it really makes no difference at all:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

#3 Suds37

Suds37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Alright, so can I use the Windows 7 Upgrade package to do this? Or will it require me to get the whole new OS for the extra $100?

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Read this too ... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/131041-upgrade-install-xp-windows-7-a.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Suds37

Suds37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Yes, I understand that I can upgrade. I am definitely aware of that. What I want to make sure of before I open the package is whether or not the Windows 7 Upgrade package will work with the jump from XP to 7 to do a 'clean install' or will I have to pay the extra money for the full blown version of it? That's where I'm lost.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

From Allan's link above:

If you're an XP user, there's no way to do an in-place upgrade. So you have to perform a migration, which consists of three steps

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

To clarify a bit:

a. There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7 where the XP programs, etc. remain intact. The result is a clean install of Win 7, using the upgrade version of Win 7.

b. The upgrade version of Win 7 Home Premium can be used to do said clean install...but the system must reflect XP before the install can actually begin. It matters not what problems the XP install has, all Win 7 does is to verify that user qualifies to use the upgrade version of Win 7.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users