Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pentagon Considers Cyber Attacks To Be Acts Of War

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alanwh

Alanwh

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

Pentagon Considers Cyber Attacks To Be Acts Of War

Cyber attacks that originate abroad can qualify as acts of war that could merit a military response by the U.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

It makes sense but I would be concerned that a knee jerk reaction might go way overboard.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

I'm not sure what a country should do when a cyber attack happens to them but surly their has to be a very big price to pay for the attacker who ever they are. A cleaner team might be the answer.

#4 dcJeff

dcJeff

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

It makes sense but I would be concerned that a knee jerk reaction might go way overboard.

I totally agree. There should be punishment, but it's the knee jerk reactions that really worry me.

#5 aromack

aromack

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

I say they need to start hiring more of our own hackers an start cyber bullying anyone that cyber attacks/hacks us.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

I wouldn't say a proactive attack is a passive defense however. If we were to start poking around at them that may cause the same knee jerk reaction. However, we definitely need to get our own hackers on the job for our nations cyber defense. As we have seen on numerous occasions from LulzSec and Anonymous we have gaping holes in our cyber security. In some cases I think we should be hiring these hackers instead of prosecuting them.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

If we handle this like we handle all of our security issues... it will be screwed up.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users