Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP 2011 security virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 songlady

songlady

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

Hello - I am a brand new user and stumbled on this site while trying to find info on removing the XP 2011 security virus.

First off, I am not an IT person nor do I have a computer background or training - everything I know (which is pretty basic) I learned from the IT guys at our office, and I really know only enough to be dangerous :) On Saturday night I was on my home computer on Facebook, when I suddenly got an error message telling me I was infected with a dangerous virus and I needed to download a program to fix it. I was very leery of this, especially as they wanted me to purchase something, so I tried just closing out the window. For the next 30 minutes I struggled to get out of there, but was redirected everytime to their stupid ad. I abandoned the computer and went to my husband's laptop, and started searching - immediately I found this site with instructions on how to remove the virus. I downloaded the links to solve this to a disk and tried to run it on my infected PC, but it did not help at all. Finally, in desperation I ran a System Restore to about 2 weeks back, and the problem does seem to be temporarily gone.

I worry though, after reading these posts, that it is still lurking somewhere in the innards I don't understand, and plotting more evil. I ran Malwarebytes, and it only found 3 infections, which I removed. Is there any way to tell - other than a fresh attack - if I have removed this thing? Thanks for any assistance - great site!

I should add - while on Facebook, I was not doing anything out of the ordinary, nor did I click on anything thing other than friends walls. Not sure where this thing came from...

Edited by songlady, 31 May 2011 - 09:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users