Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Recovery virus-error code 8070005

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 furshore

furshore

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

My son downloaded Windows 7 Recovery (virus) this weekend. I have Windows 7. I searched for the solution and it was suggested in a forum Grindsoft Trojan Killer. I downloaded that and it worked. It showed the hidden documents, programs and photos etc. I then ran Windows restore for a date much before the virus and that restored a almost normal computer. It seems I can do everything...have not checked everything but so far everything looks good but I am unable to do a Windows update. I get an error code 80070005. It acts like it is unable to access Microsoft. I have gone to the control panel-trouble shooter-windows update and it said it repaired it but still the same problem. I have done many scans with Malwarebytes, Online Norton and more of the Grindsoft Trojan Killer and everything comes up clean. I seems that I am hopefully down to this windows update problem. I am sure that I have made some mistakes on solving this problem, so I am not looking for criticism I am looking for help. I hope someone has a suggestion. Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 furshore

furshore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

I followed your instructions on another post and downloaded the hidden file program and that fixed my problem.

#3 Crash Override

Crash Override

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Whose instructions where?

#4 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Whose instructions where?

I am wondering the same thing. Since poster is the only person to post here in this thread before we did then it is very hard to know where he got the suggestion in the first place. It certainly was not at the other forum where he has also posted this problem. With the exception of multiple print screens of logs instead of actual logs his information there has also not been forthcoming either. All we know is that he has used a questionable program to attempt removal, couldn't get MBA-M to run correctly, run TDSKiller incorrectly and used System Restore not once but twice with an "undo" between them. Otherwise no instructions have been followed.

#5 furshore

furshore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

I found the instruction this website under the below topic...hope this helps.

Remove Windows 7 Recovery (Uninstall Guide)

Posted by Grinler on May 14, 2011 @ 12:21 PM

#6 furshore

furshore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

I found it under Spyware Removal.

#7 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

I found the instruction this website under the below topic...hope this helps.

Remove Windows 7 Recovery (Uninstall Guide)

Posted by Grinler on May 14, 2011 @ 12:21 PM ·

Which you were told to use on the OTHER forum but you have never stated that you had used them, anywhere, you did not post any logs anywhere. You were not forthcoming with the information anywhere including the fact that all the files on your computer were hidden. The only thing you have stated is you could not do Windows Updates, and the incorrect steps you took to remove this infection, period.

Edited by jholland1964, 31 May 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#8 Crash Override

Crash Override

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Sorry, posting results from step 18 out of 20 does not constitute working the problem. What about the results from the malwarebytes FULL SCAN as shown in step 11 here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-7-recovery

#9 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

I found it under Spyware Removal.

You DID not find this on your own. You were told to do this at the other forum at 9:14 A.M. You created this thread here, while in the middle of your thread there at 10:20 A.M. You replied THERE at 11:02 A.M.

I did follow the link and followed your advise.I downloaded the little unhide program and low and behold windows update now works.

You also made no mention of not being able to see your programs, your only complaint was the update error code you received.
You then replied here to "nobody" at 11:04 A.M.
But you still have posted NO LOGS anywhere so nobody has any idea of what was run, what was removed and by what and what may remain on the computer.

#10 furshore

furshore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

Let me explain. When I made my first post here the only problem that I seem to have was that I was unable to run Windows update. I was directed to this forum from another forum. I did not follow the complete instruction because it seems the computer is fine with the exception of the Windows update. In this forum in the Spyware Removal section it deals with removal of Windows 7 Recovery. I read that the one thing that might help was to download a small program "unhide" and run it. I did the download and ran "unhide" and it worked. My computer is now able to access Windows update. I did not think it was necessary for all of the other information since most of my removal of the trojan has been resolved. I ran a complete Malwarebytes this afternoon and still nothing...I will attach that log. I am sorry that I continue to disappoint...I am just not that good at this. Please try to understand that when I posted my question here I thought that I was rid of Windows Recovery and the only thing that did not seem to work was Windows update which thanks for the guidance I downloaded that little program and it worked. Hope this helps.

Attached Files

#11 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

That is not a copy/pasted log. That is a print screen. You were not directed here, you were given instructions to follow at the other forum and to post them THERE. You have not followed any instructions anywhere. They have been clearly given multiple times.

Edited by jholland1964, 31 May 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#12 furshore

furshore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Ok...lets try this:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6732

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

5/31/2011 1:59:16 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-31 (13-59-16).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 341077
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 39 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6732

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

5/31/2011 1:59:16 PM
mbam-log-2011-05-31 (13-59-16).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 341077
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 39 minute(s), 13 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

#13 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

You have been posting this problem at two forums which only adds to the confusion you are experiencing. The thread at the other forum has now gone three pages, you are receiving full, correct instructions there if you read them all the way through and follow them precisely. Posting the same problem at two different forums and attempting to follow instructions at both is NEVER recommended anywhere.

You need to stay THERE and finish there.

#14 furshore

furshore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

ok...I am wrong. I thought that two opinions were better than one. I see my mistake. I will stop posting here. I was just trying to explain what is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users