Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Monitor Having Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WARendfeld

WARendfeld

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

For a couple weeks now, I've been having issues with my old Dell monitor (purchased back in 2004). For reasons unknown, the settings menu keeps on popping up on its own. I am able to exit out of it after one or more presses of the "Exit" button on the front of the monitor, but the monitor keeps on reappearing.

I suspect this is a purely mechanical issue, but what are my options, beyond buying a new monitor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

This symptom is usually due to leakage in the control button PCB. Are the buttons located low on the front bezel under the screen? In this location sometimes liquid from screen cleaning can have oozed down onto the board or into the little button switches and left a conductive corrosion. Sometimes one of the buttons develops internal leakage that makes it look like it's being pressed, and one Philips monitor I repaired had some clear liquid that didn't evaporate located beneath only one button - no indication where it came from...

Would you consider opening the case an option? Cleaning off the control board with alcohol is something that can be tried without need for any real technical expertise, but if one of the buttons has gone leaky, it would need to be replaced.

Edited by Platypus, 31 May 2011 - 09:08 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users