Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router/Internet Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Whimsicott

Whimsicott

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Well, around 10:15PM last night, I was using my school laptop which is a Macbook, and my sister was using hers. All of a sudden, the internet went down. When trying to reconnect to the router, it gave a connection timeout error, but it picked up the signal. My Nintendo DS didn't pick up a signal at all. I have 2 PCs hardwired to the router, and neither of them had internet either. Now, here's the thing, usually when our internet is down, both laptops will still be able to connect to the router, but still wouldn't get any internet, and my Nintendo DS would still pick up a signal, but wouldn't be able to connect to it. I am posting this from school which it 2 minutes away. Is the problem with our router, or is it on Comcast's end?

EDIT: My router is a Linksys Wireless WRT54G.

Edited by Whimsicott, 31 May 2011 - 06:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Go to the command prompt and type Ping 192.168.1.1 if the ping is unsuccessful the connection between the computers and the router is not working. Try powering down the router, computers, and modem. Power the modem back on first and wait for all lights to turn solid green. Next power on the router and wait for the Cisco light to turn solid. Now turn back on the computers and see if your connection is restored. If this does not solve the problem reset the router using the reset button on the back. You will need to re configure any security settings and IP address changes.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users