Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"error loading operating system"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Deng

Deng

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

I have an Asus laptop computer with Windows 7 and when I turn it on I get this message, "error loading operating system." Just those white letters on a black screen, nothing else. I have had the computer for about a year and a half, and have not recently loaded anything new onto it.

The only thing I have found I can do is press F2 when the Asus logo pops up and this takes me to BIOS setup utility. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

I have an Asus laptop computer with Windows 7 and when I turn it on I get this message, "error loading operating system." Just those white letters on a black screen, nothing else. I have had the computer for about a year and a half, and have not recently loaded anything new onto it.

The only thing I have found I can do is press F2 when the Asus logo pops up and this takes me to BIOS setup utility. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Asus Laptop Recovery:....

Press F9 on booting up (right after you power on and see the ASUS logo), you should now be able to access system recovery.

can you give me the exact model for your Asus machine.

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 31 May 2011 - 09:32 AM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 Deng

Deng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

OK I pushed F9 and now I am getting a different screen every time I start my computer. Now it says:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose language settings and click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \BOOT\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

ENTER=Continue ESC=Exit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My screen looks exactly like that I typed in above. I have 3 cds that came with the laptop. The first one says:

Asus
windows 7 recovery media for windows 7 products

Second one says:

Asus
driver & utility ver 1.0
U50A

last one says:

Power2Go 6.0
The all-media disk burning software

I have tried putting in all 3 cds and restarting the computer, and I come back to the same screen above. If I hit ENTER or ESC, it restarts the computer and then comes directly back to that screen after the Asus logo. I hear the computer read the disc, but it doesn't do anything. Am I supposed to be doing something else to get the discs to run?

#4 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

Ok.... is your machine set to boot from the Disc Drive ?? to check this shut down and reboot, at the POST screen continueoslt press the escape key, make sure that the CD Drive is set as first boot use the +/- keys to do this. save and continue into windows, put the Windows 7 disc in and reboot, on reboot you be give an option of " press any key to boot from disc " go ahead and press any key, you will now see acouple of options, you need to pick the "Repair Windows" let it run and hopefully it will fix your boot issue.

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#5 Deng

Deng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

OK, I set my computer to boot from disk drive first. Now it tells me it is loading windows and shows a progression bar at the bottom of the screen. After it fills up, I eventually get to a blank black screen where I can use my mouse, but there are no buttons anywhere on the screen. After about 20 seconds, it turns into a gray screen with a pattern in the corner, like some sort of desktop background, but there are no icons or writing or anything. It also never gave me an option to "press any key to boot from disk". Once I am at this gray screen I have my mouse available to use but nothing to click and the computer stops reading the disk. Maybe I have to press something on the keyboard to get things started?

#6 Deng

Deng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

OK, after about 2 hours something finally loaded on the gray screen. about loading partitions. I asked a new question about it. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users