Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Crawling To A Stop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 daryl in despair

daryl in despair

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hello,

Over the past few months my computer has been crawling to a stop. I have about 50 process running in the background that I can't seem to totally turn off even after reviewing the slow computer pinned topic on the forum. I have also ran several scanning programs such as malwarebytes, eset, ccleaner, spybot, mcaffee and maybe a couple others that slip my mind. My internet explorer at times can reach about 160 meg. I have tried to disable the add-ons and that didn't seem to help. I've tried startup manager to limit process from starting and they just come back. The bottom line is when I start my computer, I just want Windows and my antivrus software (McAfee - not sure its doing me any good but oh well) running. I'm not that lazy that I can't click a few buttons to start anything else.

Is there a cleaner that can help me out. Any way to limit these programs from running? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Is there a cleaner that can help me out.

Hi -
There is no 'Cleaner' (if you mean registry cleaner) that will really help you with this problem, as they can cause more trouble than they are worth.
Have you done all the regular inbuilt cleaning first ? This includes items like, the ones in Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag , and in Internet Explorer click on Tools (top line) Delete browsing history. Tick the top 4 boxes and then OK.
Then read the item at the top of Windows XP Home and Professional on general clean up.
If you are not happy with McAfee A/virus then remove it and try a free one like Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira AntiVir.

If you think an infection may be one of the causes please follow the directions below.
Please repost in this area Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs
and follow the Directions Here

Thank You -

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

How does it run in safe mode?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

You might also want to download, install, update and run both Malwarebytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware
Get the free versions and do the complete scans. You can run both at the same time but dont do anything else.

It could take considerable time so check on it every once in a while & remove all elements found.
Reboot if prompted & see how it works then.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users